ARCHIVE

Classroom Themes

>

teachernj

teachernj

Classroom Themes
Old 05-29-2006, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking for a classroom theme for my kindergarten classroom next year. I would love to hear your suggestions, because I am at a loss right now for thinking of something cute.

Thanks!
teachernj

PattiMSKteacher

themes good, but not needed
Old 05-30-2006, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our school has 8 kindergartens and only 4 of us really have themes...
Shining Stars, Ocean of Learning, Busy Bees, and _______ Bears

The other 2 others have item that are used often gumballs and apples, the other 2, just are kinda all over the place with their classroom.

I really didn't have the whole theme thing down until this year.
PattiMSKteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

BookMuncher

I'm kicking around...
Old 06-01-2006, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

something with Storybook Forest or Story _____ or something that has to do with favorite tales. I'm thinking about making a bean stalk in the corner, turning the bathroom door into the third pigs brick house, building two little turrets in my library, letting small groups paint story scenes on the windows. I'm going to mold my curriculum for at least the first two or three months around familiar stories, retellings, etc...
BookMuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
MATeacher

MATeacher

Another Classroom Theme
Old 06-11-2006, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi Teachernj,
Here's a classroom theme that the teacher I student taught with a few years ago used. She used a "Color" theme. Above each table student's sat at to do seatwork/group work she had a crayon cut out hanging from the ceiling. Each table was a different crayon and she used it call each table by color when calling them to the carpet, to line up, etc. She also had a crayon box (cardboard crayola one) with crayon cut outs of diff. colors w/each child's name on it. These were for her behavior management plan. If a child repeatedly misbehaved your crayon was taken out of the box. For her helper chart for jobs she had crayon cut outs w/each child's name and jobs labelled on crayon themed note paper available at teacher stores. I think trend makes them (not positive though). You could also have crayon cut outs with each child's name above their coat hook where they place their coat and backpack and the same color crayon cut out for their mailbox where they store their pencil box, etc. Each child will have the same color for their coat hook and mailbox. These are just a few ideas and ways you can incorporate the crayon theme. Hope this makes sense and is helpful. Please let me know what you plan to use as your theme for next year. Glad you can plan ahead. I'm looking for a new teaching job (moving to a new school hopefully) and don't know what grade I'll be teaching. I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to teach Kindergarten though!

RebeccaF

Theme Ideas
Old 06-17-2006, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use an over-arching theme in my classroom each year. The name of my school is Grace Lutheran (private school) so my theme names are tied into that. I've used "The Garden of Grace", "The Treasures of Grace", "The Ocean of Grace", "The Galaxy of Grace" and this past year, "The Community of Grace". I always decorate the classroom accordingly, create a permanent job board with this theme and use a first day project that corresponds with my theme. I know that the name might not work for you but I have found that all of these themes were terrific and that I could tie them into various elements of my curriculum throughout the year. See the Ocean Theme thread for some ideas I posted there.

This year I will be using "The Adventures of Grace" theme. I plan to use a rainforest/Indiana Jones sort of decoration theme. I'm going to hang vines around my classroom and try to create a reading corner that looks like a big banyan or kapok tree (good literature tie-in too). I'll be borrowing large stuffed animals from acquaintances to use in the room too. I think I'm going to make my job board look like a rainforest and use tropical animals for each student pair.

If you like the Galaxy theme, here's an interesting idea for a bulletin board or job board: I made a background of black bulletin board paper and created planets, asteroids, and sattelites. Then I poked holes in the board and taped white Christmas lights to the back of the board. When it was plugged in, it looked awesome! Since it was my job board, I used various colored rockets to represent the students and moved them from job to job on the board.

Treasures is another fun theme. Each of my student pairs were represented by different jewels. This is a great theme in the sense that to both you and the parents these students are real treasures! Also, to the students, learning is a treasure that they have to work hard to discover and polish but it is worth it.

If you go with the garden theme, you can send small packets of seeds to each parent before school starts with a note talking about how you will be working with them to encourage a love of learning to grow in their child. Also, you can create laminated flowers with each student's name on paint sticks (sprayed green) and put them in inexpensive flower pots filled with sand. Line the walkway to your classroom with these pots and you're sure to create excitement on your students' walk to the classroom!

I hope these ideas were helpful and you are welcome to contact me if you would like more info. Good luck with your planning and have a relaxing summer!

RebeccaF is offline   Reply With Quote
jennifoo

jennifoo

Old 07-03-2006, 04:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I did a wild animlas/safari theme last year and it was pretty fun. I had monkeys and vines hangling from the ceiling, and a jungle reading corner. You can incroporate so many animals into this theme (elephants, lions, giraffes, monkeys, birds, etc.). As you can guess the bulletin board ideas are endless. This year I am going with a teddy bear theme. Any cute ideas are welcome!!
Robyn1

Robyn1

kindergarten teacher
Old 04-06-2008, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have used Kindergarten Superstars with a star theme. Last year I used Kindergarten Cruisers with the movie Cars theme. This year we are the Happy Campers with a camping theme, which includes my library area under a tent, and a picnic table for a writing area. Good Luck!
Deb G.

Deb G.

K teacher
Old 07-01-2008, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Wow! My teaching buddie and I will be sharing a room next year and we were thinking the same thing! She used to be Peter's Pals (Peter Rabbit) and I was The Arthur Kids (PBS show and books by Marc Brown) We want a new start. We already have Clifford Kids, Courdory Bears, Froggys Friends, Care Bears and The Franklin class. We thought we might be Bears....Teddy Bears, Brown Bears, Panda Bears, Polar Bears, etc. She would choose one and I would choose one. We would have our shirts made and will be similar in design. Eric Carle uses bears (the real ones) in his books and that would be a great launch. Winnie the Pooh or Tigger or Kanga have been used at our school too. Let me know what you decide to do! Good luck! Debbie

gateachk5

other board
Old 07-02-2008, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Teachernj, Have you been to the other board, Themes? Just go to the top and click on search boards. If you have a germ of an idea, you can also do a search. That will give "gobs" of info from this site. It seems like almost idea is covered.
I'm doing hands as my theme.
gateachk5 is offline   Reply With Quote