Help

ARCHIVE

Reading A-Z books

>

Sue/8

Reading A-Z books
Old 07-10-2008, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone use these? Do you have the students read them on their own or to you, or both? I have copies of most of the booklets from when I student taught but havent' used them. I don't want to send them home b/c I probably won't get them back. Any ideas? Thanks!

Sue/8 is offline   Reply With Quote

janicepet

Reading A-Z
Old 07-10-2008, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use the Reading A-Z books all the time. I use them for phonics instruction by having the children highlight words with a certain sound or pattern, for guided reading, running records, as part of a center and sometimes for science or social studies. There are so many possibilities. They read them on their own, with a partner, or with me. I always have the children take them home so they can share it with their family. Since I have a membership, I don't have to worry about them bringing them back.
janicepet is offline   Reply With Quote

BoSox_Fan

Raz
Old 07-10-2008, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a TON of these books. I keep an original on file and let the kids use what I've made. I haven't let them take them home yet and am still debating this. I've made 6 copies of each book and printed out all plans, etc... that go with them. I use them for running records and guided reading lessons as well as science and social studies. If I decide to let them take them home it's not a big deal if they never come back because I have a hard copy original and it takes nothing to make another copy.
BoSox_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

suser

Old 07-10-2008, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I started using Reading A-Z books this last school year. They are wonderful, especially since our district doesn't have a huge variety of books. I use them for science, social studies, and reading. We use them in a variety of ways...whole group, guided reading, partner reading, and reading independently.
suser is offline   Reply With Quote

"Mrs. Gorf"

I use them a lot!
Old 07-10-2008, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have been using A-Z readers for my Title 1 group instead of the adopted series for a few years. We do all kinds of writing/highlighting in them. Each student has their own copy to keep. I also use them as interest centers for my GT students and when I tutor. I am selective about the accompanying worksheets. I have found some mistakes and thought that the activities don't always match the level of the book. Other than that, I love them and will use them with my on-level students this year. (No more Title 1 for me for a while! Yeah!!)
I also like the poetry, series books, and comics from A-Z. I have copied the books and taken out the words for the students to write their own text. They love it.
I do know one teacher that makes group sets of books that she uses over and over each year.

"Mrs. Gorf" is offline   Reply With Quote

ArmyWife1027

Old 07-14-2008, 07:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I use these at a center and once a week I let them take one home to read to a parent. I do not let them write in them because I use them over and over. To keep them in good condition I use colored duct tape on the spine. I've even color coded the spines by grade level.
ArmyWife1027 is offline   Reply With Quote

kjain4thgrade

A to Z
Old 07-15-2008, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I use these during my workshop time. Students are in groups and meet about the book together as well as with me. I love A to Z because it meets the needs of all my students and there are activities and quick checks for each book, which is always a nice option. I also use these books with my at risk group kids that meet with the para pro. The kids really enjoy reading them (yeah ) Many of the books are also cross curricular, so you can supplement with them when teaching science, social studies, etc.
kjain4thgrade is offline   Reply With Quote