Help

Special Education

advice please!

>

cheerteach34

advice please!
Old 07-10-2008, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am going to be teaching 3,4,5 self-contained this year. I have previously taught gen. ed. third grade. The students range from autism, LD and ED. Any advice on for classroom management, scheduling, organzation, etc would be great. I haven't seen my classroom yet, but I was thinking of during a jungle theme. Is it too babyish? Would it be distracting for them? (I just want a reading hut and themed bulletin boards, jobs, etc).

I already use Responsive Classroom techniques for management and would like to try Power Teaching this year. Any use it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by cheerteach34; 07-10-2008 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: added sentence
cheerteach34 is offline   Reply With Quote

peachyplum

Congratulations!!
Old 07-10-2008, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It will be truly rewarding. I have found that students with special needs really do enjoy "younger things". I was surprised that the 4th graders during student teaching last year loved ABC songs and dances, "younger" books--some of their favorite including was "Five Little Ducks"--and basic predictable books--I tried using nontraditional books from the library--but they preferred things like Clifford, Max and Ruby, Curious George, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, Eric Carle or Bill Martin books, etc. They didn't care if I had already read it to them three times--they liked hearing them again! Ah, all my hours of looking for "the right book!"
(*It should be noted here too that the 4th graders I had were reading at a beginning/mid kindergarten grade level and were classified as CD).

I love the jungle theme because you can do so much with it. --And I have found in my experience that many students are interested in animals! Every time I would read a book--"Does it have an animal? Is it about animals?"

~I think once you get your classroom it will definitely help you visualize how you want it set up.

As for classroom management, my cooperating teacher used the sticker chart and after each lesson if they followed the rules, they could earn a sticker. If they earned 10 stickers, they could earn a prize out of the treasure box. Also, if they scored above a 70% on a computer program (reading and math), they earned a piece of candy or some kind of treat. This worked for her class and they knew the system. I think the important thing is to be consistent with whatever system you use and stick to it. She also gave free choice time and time outs. Free choice time was set up something like..."Max, you earned a sticker, you may have some free choice." Usually the student who was not following directions would be talked to and would understand what they did wrong and how to make better choices. She would say, "Max, you did not follow directions today so you do not get to earn a sticker. --talk about rules--Ok, you may have some free choice time." She would give them less free choice time by discussing the problem with them. It worked in her classroom. She also used a lot of positive reinforcement--many students with special needs hear all the time that they are "dumb" and so they feel different.

I am not familiar with Power Teaching and I am still learning about responsive classroom techniques. Maybe someone will post another thread and give us more ideas.

I hope I helped. I am not sure if that is what you were looking for. Let me know if you have any other questions. I would like to know more about you class and what you are planning so far. I am a new teacher so I am always looking for ideas!

Good Luck with your classroom.
peachyplum is offline   Reply With Quote

Narrative C

Congrats on your
Old 07-12-2008, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

new job! I would make picture (icon) schedules for EVERYTHING. There are several software programs to do this. Also, look at Red and Green Choices. com--it's a wonderful site with lots of advice for kids with autism. Also, I had individual folders with TO and DONE on each side, as well as a check off sheet. I taught the kids to shift their work from one side to the other and it helped with developing independence.

Kids really need to know about their schedule, and if there will be any change to it. You have to prepare them ahead of time. Also, have your administration tell you ahead of time about fire drills, tornado drills, etc., so you can warn the kids. Mine always freaked out during fire drills because the siren was so loud and irritating.

See if your district has professional development in this area.

Also, definitely decide on what behavior management system you will use.

I like your Jungle theme and think it's just right for your kids.
Narrative C is offline   Reply With Quote