Abeka Curriculum - ProTeacher Community

JMonk

Abeka Curriculum
Old 07-10-2008, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just wondering if anyone has used this in their classroom. Just interviewed for school that uses this curriculum.

Thanks,

JMonk is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrrx

Old 07-10-2008, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use it, but last year was my first year with Abeka & also my first year in 3rd grade. So, unfortunately, I have nothing to compare it too. I'm sure there are others on here who know a lot more about it than I do. I'll help you out if I can though.
tchrrx is online now   Reply With Quote

monsie2125

ABeka Curriculum
Old 07-12-2008, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This curriculum is excellent! Have used it in our school for over 30 years.
monsie2125 is offline   Reply With Quote

havefaith

Old 07-12-2008, 12:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am new to Abeka this year as well. I am so excited because I was taught Abeka in school. I didn't realize how BORING it can become so you will need to use a lot of your own resources to make it more enjoyable. My Mother in law has been a teacher for 36 years now and has mostly taught Abeka. She stressed to me the importance of keeping the Abeka interesting and not bland. I have a lot of manipulatives to use with every subject. Hope this helps.
havefaith is offline   Reply With Quote

teachMS

I also teach Abeka
Old 07-19-2008, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've been teaching Abeka for five years. The curriculum has a lot of pencil and paper work. I have supplemented reading because I don't think kids get the skills that they need if you follow the reading curriculum as it is written. I also use a lot of resources, especially ideas that I have read on the boards on this site. But it is a challenging curriculum and students are nearly a year ahead to the students in the public schools in the state where I teach.

teachMS is offline   Reply With Quote

MissLisa1

ABeka Rocks
Old 07-29-2008, 02:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I taught school in public schools for 20+ years and retired .. then went to work in a private school that uses the full ABeka curriculum. I think it is one of the finest programs out there. The way the different subject areas dovetail into each other is wonderful - and the students excel academically every year. They absolutely amaze me with what they can do and how well they can do it.

That being said; I do have three problems with the curriculum -

1) The Spelling portion is incredibly difficult. Be prepared for a mild mutiny the first few weeks into it. It does help to go over the words thoroughly with your students and give them mnemonic, visual, or sound relationship clues as to how to spell them - and when they get to words like "miscellaneous" (yup .. a third grade spelling word in the second quarter .. egads) my class responded really well to just challenging them to get it right .. I would say something like "Woah ... look what ABeka did .. they are going to try to trick you with this word ... are you going to let them do that?"

2) The History and Science books are great, but at the beginning of the year, it is a huge leap for a lot of the students from "learning to read" to "reading to learn". To help them, we always read the material together, and I would have them highlight important information in their books. Before a test, they would write essays about what they had learned as part of their seatwork. Writing the essays really seemed to focus their thinking and they internalized much more information.

3) ABeka's writing curriculum is very weak. There are few chances for students to hone their writing skills, so you do need to incorporate some outside resources to help with this.
MissLisa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
anzaria

anzaria

Teacher
Old 01-08-2009, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have taught abeka for 14 years. Can anyone tell me how I can get the Manipulatives for 3rd grade an K5 combination dot cards without ordering them from the company or pay half price for them. Please email me at anzaria2004@yahoo.com.
talk freind

talk freind

speech teacher for special needs
Old 02-22-2011, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Try looking on ebay. I have found many items I needed. I just saw the dot cards for sale on there.
faithwalikng

faithwalikng

teaching multiple grades simultaneously
Old 08-16-2011, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Has anyone ever taught several grades at the same time using Abeka? I will be teaching a class comprised of a 2nd, 3rd and 4th graders at the same time and any advise would be helpful.