Welcome Letters - ProTeacher Community

JustMe

Welcome Letters
Old 07-11-2008, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering if anyone has any Welcome Letter samples/advice for a new teacher. This is my first year, so I don't have all the facts about the curriculum just yet, and I can't play up all of my years of teaching experience.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

JustMe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tinkster

Know your expectations
Old 07-11-2008, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

One of the most important things you need to manage before school begins is how you plan to handle discipline, consequences, homework, etc. Decide what you want to do for each of these, make sure they align to the school/district policies, and begin assembling a parent packet to send home. I let my parents know up front what the expectations are and attach a welcome letter that stresses how important parent support is. I also have my parents sit down with their child to establish an achievable academic goal, which they both sign, and send back to me within the first week.
Getting the parents on your side is VERY important. Without their support, your year can be very tough. I teach at a title 1 school where many parents work 2 jobs and the kids stay with grandma or are babysitting younger siblings. While parent involvement is not high, parent support is. I don't nitpick my parents; but when I call home or have to send a note, they know it's serious. My kids respond very well (although the first month is rocky) because they really want me to send a postcard to their home (I do this for positive notes--not a great expense and a good form of communication with parents who may not have a phone or be available to speak with you during school hours).
Best of Luck!!!!
Tinkster is offline   Reply With Quote

Jenagain

Old 07-11-2008, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Here's mine for this year. I tweak it a bit depending on the grade level.

Also, you may be interested in my Parent's Guide booklet that I posted today on the Busy Board.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Parents letter 4th.doc (39.5 KB, 445 views)
Jenagain is offline   Reply With Quote

maggiehgs

Old 07-11-2008, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Here is one of mine that is several years old. My current one is on the school network. (You tend to get better at them throughout the years! Heh.) However, it might serve to be useful in some way.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Parent Letter.doc (29.5 KB, 336 views)
maggiehgs is offline   Reply With Quote

curlygirl2

Just Me
Old 07-11-2008, 11:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Do you want a letter that you send to the kids or parents? I assumed kids. I am attaching a sample of mine. After a week or so I send another letter to parents as well as a how to booklet of sorts for my classroom.

I am having trouble attaching it! PM me with your email and I can send it to you there...

curlygirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kopertop

Survival Guide
Old 07-12-2008, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi,
Do you want something to send to parents about your classroom procedures and info about your policies? I have what I call a Survival Guide for 5th Grade. It's for the parents and tells all about: graded papers, weekly progress reports, discipline, birthdays, etc...I even have pre-made absent notes!!
Attached Files
File Type: doc new survival guide.doc (573.5 KB, 303 views)
Kopertop is offline   Reply With Quote

JustMe

Wonderful!
Old 07-12-2008, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you all for your helpful posts! I now have lots to think about and prepare for this letter.

PT is such a great place to be...I can't imagine doing all of this alone!

Thanks again!
JustMe is offline   Reply With Quote
LJC

LJC

Old 08-10-2008, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am in need of a sample welcome back letter for 5th grade. This is my first year.