re: Incentives - PLEASE help! - ProTeacher Community

NewlyHired

NewlyHired

re: Incentives - PLEASE help!
Old 07-11-2008, 09:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What type of rewards does everyone use in their classroom, and would you please be specific with your procedures regarding such? Treasure chests? Tickets? I really don't want to use economy my first year, as my principal thinks that might be too much to undertake. Therefore, I'd appreciate your help. Thank you!

maggiehgs

Old 07-11-2008, 09:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What I did this year was have a Speedway Pass for each student. (My theme is racing.)

They are color coded, so they all start with white.
Positive - star punch
Negative - hole punch, canceling out the star

Positive: when I give compliments, showing kindness, finishing work neatly, bringing in homework, doing favors, going above and beyond... really anything that I felt deserved a positive recognition. Sometimes I'd give them when I saw that some students needed a reminder... "Great job, Johnny! You put your name on your paper without me reminding you." Then perhaps Susie, Jamal, and other will quickly check their papers.

Negative: talking out, breaking a rule, breaking procedure, using hurtful words, not bringing homework, etc. I almost always did with a "because your choice was to ___,..." so they knew it was a choice that they might change next time.

Once they received 25 stars (some took longer than others because they'd get canceled out and then they would have to be re-earned), they received a reward and traded their Pass in for the next color. The students really seemed to like that this year and really work toward the rewards/new color Pass.

Rewards: homework pass, computer free time pass, pencils, treasure box, lunch with another class, recess with another class, dismissal with another teacher (which was always a reward for ME!), stickers, etc. I had it written down so I wouldn't forget what I gave for each color. Heh.

White - positive stamp in their agenda
Yellow - sticker
Orange - homework pass
Green - computer free time pass

and so on....

**In the beginning of the year, I just let them earn the stars and then lose them with the hole punch. I found that some were losing too often because of poor behavior and not bringing in homework, so they weren't getting to feel the positive by trading in their Pass, thereby never getting a reward. (I even tried to seek out ways to compliment them.) Also, I found that some of the kids that were really well behaved and who made good choices ALL the time weren't getting enough stars. So, after the holidays I started giving them all 3 stars to start their day. Either they were well behaved, got compliments and were rewarded with those 3+ ... OR they lost ones that the started the day with. The kids started moving a little more quickly through the Speedway Passes and found a new goal to work toward.

(Part of my management strategy is that they put a stick in their pocket - where their Passes were kept - when rules were broken or when they were reprimanded. Each stick -blue, orange, yellow, red- would mean a hole punch, so it was easy to know how many hole punches to give at the end of the day.)
maggiehgs is offline   Reply With Quote

jourdansmom97

Classroom Rewards
Old 07-11-2008, 09:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have quite a few rewards that I use and change throughout the year. I do have a treasure chest that I fill with lots of different items that I purchase from oriental trading and anywhere else that I find inexpensive things. I always put coupons, like work with no shoes, sit by a friend, lunch buddy pass, first in line pass, etc. However, its pretty tough to get into my treasure chest.

I use tickets as often as possible. The more I give out tickets, the better my kiddos perform....kinda sad huh? It works!! I give tickets for answering questions correctly, getting along with others, following directions, being prepared for class, etc. The students have an opportunity to trade in tickets for rewards. I have the rewards posted in the classroom. Or they can save tickets for a big drawing on Fridays.

One of my favorites is the 212 degree movie. I showed it to my students and we discussed the behaviors that we expect in class from each other. At the beginning of each day I randomly chose a student that I would watch to see if they were showing the 212 degree behaviors. At the end of the day I announced if that person was successful. If they were, they got certain special rewards for the next day and to wear a necklace I made that says 212 (its painted red with gold numbers). If not, the name is not given and I start over the next morning watching a new student.

You can find this movie by googling Walk the Talk - its called 212 degrees - the extra degree. It made a tremendous difference in my class.

Good luck to you!!
jourdansmom97 is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

rewards
Old 07-12-2008, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't really have behavior awards, but I do reward good grades. I put a sticker on all papers that earn an A. At the end of the week, the kids tally up the number of stickers they have, and I reward with "money" into their bank accounts. I have each sticker worth 10 cents. I have a "store" of cheap stuff I have collected from Dollar Tree, Oriental, and the like. Everything in the store "costs" $1.00. So on shopping days, I tell the kids how much is in their account and they may spend as many whole dollars as they like, as long as they have the money in their account. Some choose to save for a while, some empty their accounts weekly. The "bank account" is set up at www.mykidsbank.com.
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

NCLily

No prize box anymore :(
Old 07-12-2008, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our school is trying out the Positive Behavior System, and that means no more "prize boxes." So I've been forced to get creative with my rewards. Some ideas:

*Computer time
*Homework pass
*Lunch with teacher/previous teacher
*Free Choice (blocks, legos, etc.)
*Line leader
*First to line up/pack up/etc)
*Teacher's helper
*LOTS of verbal praise
*Extra recess
*Classroom reward for compliments received (they met my pug puppy, had pajama day, etc)

NCLily is offline   Reply With Quote

Tigercat

rewards
Old 07-12-2008, 05:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

To reward group behavior, I use the marble jar. For any compliment I overhear from another teacher, the group receives 5 marbles. When I leave my classroom to go to the restroom, office, etc., I always leave someone in "charge." (At the beginning of the year, I explain my expectations for when I'm out of the room.) Upon my return, I ask that one person if the class deserves 5 marbles. It's a simple yes or no. I don't want the details. If I'm on the phone, and the class is very quiet, they receive 5 marbles. You get the picture. .. .a visit from the principal can earn 10 marbles. When the jar if full, they get extra recess. Simple and cheap.

Also, I do a prize drawer for AR. It's based on getting a certain number of 100's in a week. Since my lowest readers check out books on their level, I feel it is fair to them. Like others, the prize drawer is full of cheap stuff. Sometimes parents will donate to it, also.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote

gg

Skittles
Old 07-12-2008, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've used many of the above mentioned methods. One quick thing that works for me (if your district allows candy) is to give a Skittle for a reward. It's really cheap and kids are motivated to get that tiny little candy, I've found. Sometimes I use them after school to reward kids from other classrooms who want to help out. It's immediate and a good way to get helpers.
gg is offline   Reply With Quote

maggiehgs

gg
Old 07-12-2008, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I've done the same thing every now and again... I just have a little cup of Skittles, and I hand them out as I'm moving around. One Skittle... It's amazing what they will do for ONE. *lol*

I find myself doing it more when there are out-of-the-ordinary circumstances affecting our work...

tweet

rewards
Old 07-12-2008, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We can't give candy, but mine will do cartwheels for ONE Cheez-it or Teddy Graham! That's what I give for prizes when we play any kind of bingo game. You win, you get ONE piece. At the end, everybody gets one, win or lose. If they didn't win a single round, they are still satisfied if they get one cracker!
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

akmosher

question on speedway pass
Old 07-13-2008, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I was reading the post about the speedway pass from maggiehgs and I am thinking about adapting it to fit my classroom. I just have a few questions... My major question is could you please describe in detail how you use the "sticks" to determine how many punches they get at the end of the day?? Say if someone does something good and deserves a star punch, how can it be tracked and saved until the end of the day to receive a star punch. And the same thing with a hole punch? Do you verbally tell them to put a "colored" stick in a negative or positive place in their desks?
I am just curious to see how that part of the plan works so I wouldn't have to punch the card each time throughout the day.
Thank you in sharing your behavior plan. Hope all is well for you this year.
akmosher is offline   Reply With Quote

maggiehgs

akmosher
Old 07-13-2008, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I don't have the greatest picture of how it works, but if you look here: http://www.misshodges.net/photos/JustReadIt.jpg you will see on the far left of the picture (you'll have to view it full-sized; in IE you just click on the picture if it re-sizes it smaller), you'll see that I have pockets for each of the students. They keep their Speedway Passes in there, and when I tell them to pull a stick (for whatever reason), they go to the pocket chart where I keep a little bin of colored popsicle sticks (the big ones) and they place them in there. (I have the sticks up top - on the BB board - so they know which ones to pull first, second, etc.) Then, at the end of the day, I punch their cards, depending on the sticks. The first one (green) is just a warning, then they get a hole punch for each other stick pulled. (You could just have them pull a stick each time they need a hole punch, and how many sticks are in the pocket, that's how many punches they get. That would work, too. My kids just trade out sticks as they go - green, then they exchange for blue, etc.)

As far as the star punches go, whenever they earn a star punch, I let them know it... "Johnny was the only one to begin his work when you were told. Great job, Johnny. You've earned a star punch!) At the end of the day, the students bring me their Speedway Pass and I'll give them their star punches. They are usually pretty honest, and if I don't remember giving them a compliment or star punch, they have to tell me why they earned it. Most of the time, I'll say, "You're right!" It works for us.

Before they go home they are to make sure that their Speedway Pass is in their pocket because after school I hole punch for the number of sticks. (After winter break I started giving 3 punches first thing in the morning, so they all started off the day positively!)

Just ask if you have any more questions!

(Please excuse the mess of the table - it was a week where we had a field trip to Starbase every day, so it was hectic AND I was changing out the EQ/Vocab BB.)
Allyson

Allyson

Speedway pass
Old 12-10-2008, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I really like this idea but I do have a question. What did you mean they are all coler coded and they start with white. Do students move up to a different color? Can you explain this please. Thanks Allyson

maggiehgs

Allyson
Old 01-02-2009, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I haven't been online a whole lot lately! Bah!

The students start with a white "Speedway Pass", and when they earn 25 stars, they receive a small token of appreciation (homework pass, free computer time pass, etc.) and a new color for their Speedway pass. Each color garners a specific reward. I bought colored cardstock paper and cut them into 2x5 pieces (or something like that - to fit in the pockets on the board), so there are about 8-10 different colors. I had a couple of students who went through them all and started all over!