Welcome postcards?? - ProTeacher Community

iteach4th

Welcome postcards??
Old 07-14-2008, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you send postcards to your students BEFORE school begins?

I never have, but I've always wanted to. I began one on Vista Print this am, but I'm not sure what I want to say.

Does anyone have any ideas??

Thanks!!!

iteach4th is offline   Reply With Quote

teachermlb

I would love to...
Old 07-14-2008, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think it is great to send postcards to students before school begins. I don't get my class lists until the first day of school, so I can't.

I would just write a quick note to tell them how excited you are to start the school year and get to know them.

Good luck!
teachermlb is offline   Reply With Quote

Teresa Bacon

Welcome postcards
Old 07-14-2008, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I send out postcards the beginning of August to my students! I usually tell them about some of the fun things we will be doing this year! The students really look forward to our postcards every year! All of our 3 - 6 grade teachers send them out!
Teresa Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sunflower123

I teach 3rd grade
Old 07-14-2008, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

and I send out postcards to everyone on my class list just as soon as they register (usually a week prior to pre-planning). I purchase the cards at the local teacher store and they are already pre-printed. You just fill in the student name, date school begins, and sign your name. The kids love them and usually bring them with on the first day of school.
Sunflower123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Volleyann

Old 07-14-2008, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our school sends out welcome letters. That is how the students find out who their teacher will be. It also gives the teacher an opportunity to introduce herself/himself.

Volleyann is offline   Reply With Quote

angelfrog

vacation
Old 07-14-2008, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I just finished writing all of my postcards for my class for next year. I always try to send them from somewhere I went on vacation. This year I went to San Fransisco. I love doing it, and my students are always excited on the first day of school to tell me where they went on vacation, and what they did. It does freak the kids out a little that I know their address.
angelfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

postcards
Old 07-14-2008, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've sent them out the past few years and I always get at least one parent (and several kids!) who tells me how much it meant to their child.

I don't get my list ahead of time, so I just write the same thing on every postcard, but I keep the pen with it and leave a space at the top to write their name (and address to the right, of course) later when I get the list.

I write something like:

Hi __________, I hope you're having a wonderful summer. I'm looking forward to having you in our class this year! We'll see you Thursday - bring your supplies and a smile!
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

monsie2125

Welcome Postcards
Old 07-14-2008, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I've never sent them before, but I plan on it this year. I receive my class list in plenty of time. I think it will be great!
monsie2125 is offline   Reply With Quote

BBrock

good idea
Old 07-14-2008, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

for those who can. I unfortunately don't get my list that early! I wish!
BBrock is offline   Reply With Quote

missaimee

Class Letters...
Old 07-15-2008, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

At my school, the welcome back letters must be turned in by this Friday (made, copied, put in envelopes, and labeled- the office puts on stamps). That is exactly one month BEFORE our first contract day! WHY?? So annoying. Well, I am going to a new school, so I am exempt- yeah! I'll bet I'll be required to write a letter at my new school, which is fine, as long as I don't have to think about it for another week or two. I haven't even met my teammates yet!

Because we are required to send a letter anyway, I usually make a tri-fold brochure on the computer (I know how it sounds, but it really is easier for me to compartmentalize!) I write a few paragraphs- introducing myself, welcoming them to my class, etc. I also have a blurb about what we learn in this grade. I try to include info on Back to School night, supplies, donations, etc. I use PrintMaster or Printshop, but I'm sure other programs would work.
missaimee is offline   Reply With Quote

msteacherkw

Welcome Brochure
Old 07-15-2008, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My sixth grade teaching partner and I send out a bochure I made on Printmaster. It has a little welcome message, a list of supplies, a reminder about summer reading, and an "All About the Teachers" trivia list. On that list, we share our favorite foods, books, TV shows, hobbies, etc. We leave space for the student to fill out his/her faves and tell students to bring the brochure on the first day of school.

I think it's a nice ice breaker to share favorites in the first weeks of school. Since we do Responsive Classroom, we also use the info we collect in our morning messages or during "getting to know you" activities.

I'd love to attach the brochure, but I'm not sure you could read it since it was done in Printmaster.

Hope this helps.

Kelly W
msteacherkw is offline   Reply With Quote

volstate

Old 07-15-2008, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I do send postcards. Keep it simple. Something like welcome to _ grade, we will have a fantastic year. See you on __.
volstate is offline   Reply With Quote

rebeccav

Old 07-15-2008, 10:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

We don't get our list until the Friday before school starts so it's pretty impossible. This year I sent my kids a postcard after school got out. I wrote something I found special about them and told them I missed them.
rebeccav is offline   Reply With Quote

sambrolaw

Old 07-16-2008, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Dollar Tree has "Welcome to My Class" postcards!
sambrolaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Apache42

Beginning of Year Post Cards
Old 07-17-2008, 10:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I sent cards to my class last year. As I teach fourth grade in a state where writing is a mandated test, I wanted to begin the process interactively.

I included things about myself: children, pets, hobbies, one fun thing I did over the summer. I also mentioned a book I was reading. (We take a state mandated reading test, too.)

It had a big effect on both parents and students. Parent participation was great this past year.
Apache42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Emily4th

School Does
Old 07-18-2008, 03:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

The school provides them for us, and gives us address labels for our students. It is to let them know who their teacher is and when orientation is going to be. I got a great return address label to put on it from Vistaprint with my name school address, and website.
Emily
Emily4th is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsf70

Old 07-18-2008, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I do to welcome 6th grade to the middle school. I always think it's such a big step for them, and I want them to feel more comfortable.
mrsf70 is offline   Reply With Quote