Bathroom Pass Ideas....please! - ProTeacher Community

iteach4th

Bathroom Pass Ideas....please!
Old 07-15-2008, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just wondering what you all do for BATHROOM PASSES. I like to have a way to know who is gone, but I no longer want my 4th graders to carry it to the bathroom with them.

I know there are lots of wonderfully creative teachers out there in PT land! Please share what you do in your classroom!

Thanks!

iteach4th is offline   Reply With Quote

dolmansaxlil

Old 07-15-2008, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In my 8th grade classroom, I don't require the kids to ask to use the washroom. We set up the rules (one person out at a time). The kids sign out with the time they left and returned on a clipboard, and they write their names on a small whiteboard posted by the door for that purpose. That way, I have a record of who is leaving when, but I also can tell at a glance who is gone.
dolmansaxlil is offline   Reply With Quote

kirstenjean6

hand sanitizer bottles
Old 07-15-2008, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use hand sanitizer bottles. I got the idea from Really Good Stuff. If you go on my website to the Back to School page and scroll down about halfway, you'll see an example.

http://www.mrsvandyke.com/backtoschool.htm
kirstenjean6 is offline   Reply With Quote

CageyBee

Bathroom
Old 07-15-2008, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I also don't have the kids take the pass to the bathroom either. Who knows what goes on in there! I also have a sign-out/sign-in sheet that is kept on a shelf near the door. The only difference is that I like to see a visual of who is where from any vantage point in my room so...I have old CDs on the shelf as well. The kids need to place one on their desks if they leave the room. The CDs are from junk mailings, broken ones from me, or burned ones that have errors. I also take a Sharpie and just write "lavatory pass" on it so the children know what one to use since I also have one for the office, nurse, media center, etc. Since I only print on enough for the number of students allowed out of the room at the same time, the children self-monitor who can leave. Cheap...effective.
CageyBee is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

bathroom passes
Old 07-15-2008, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The ones that make sense to me are the ones that students put on top of their desk -so you can see who's gone. I know some teachers use stuffed animals-one for girls, one for boys.

That way they are not carrying something while they're going to the bathroom .

When there's a recurring problem (someone going too many times-I have them sign out time left /time returned )

Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsCroak

Old 07-15-2008, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

my school requires passes in the hallway. i bought ID badges at office depot and printed up a pass to put in each one. my kids can clip it to their collar or and of a short sleeve.

i do like the dry erase sign out board. hmmm.
MrsCroak is offline   Reply With Quote

cvbear

kristenjean6
Old 07-15-2008, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I really like the hand sanitizer bottles idea.
cvbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Jeri

passes
Old 07-15-2008, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I used to use passes but they got lost/left in the bathroom, etc. I have seen the clipboard idea used before. I really like the CD/ pass on the desk idea.
Mrs. Jeri is offline   Reply With Quote

sambrolaw

Old 07-15-2008, 10:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I've seen the hand sanitizer idea and like it. My cooperating teacher from student teaching had a small circle for each student in her class (different color for boys and girls) cut from foam. She then had two hooks on her board. When students went to the bathroom they put up their pass on the hook on the board. She didn't have them ask, they just knew when they were allowed to go. This way the students could also see if another student was in the bathroom. The only problem we had with it was some "darlings" thought it was funny to hide other's passes in books and other places in the room.
sambrolaw is offline   Reply With Quote

treetoad

Old 07-15-2008, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

our middle school teachers have a stop sign hanging on their doors. Red indicates someone is already out of the room and green indicates you may leave afterr you flip the sign - seems to work for them. It is only for restroom/fountain use.
treetoad is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherchar

Old 07-15-2008, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I, too , use a sign in/sign out method. The kids show me a sign language sign to ask to go to the bathroom (that way they don't verbally interrupt as I teach, others are working, etc.), and I nod my head if it is an alright time for them to go. They then sign out in a small book and sign back in when they come back. They have to read the analog clock to write down the time they leave and the time they come back - this gives them time telling practice. It also helps to know who was in the bathroom at what time if there was an "incident," which seem to happen in school bathrooms! It is also the Calendar Person's job to enter the date every morning in the bathroom log.
teacherchar is offline   Reply With Quote

auntieamy

Old 07-15-2008, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I still use a girls and boys hall pass, but instead of taking the pass with them to the bathroom, they just leave it on their desk. This way, I know who is in the bathroom. One year, I had plastic cups that were labeled for boys and girls. They just put the cup on their desk when they had permission to go the bathroom. This method has worked the best for me.
auntieamy is offline   Reply With Quote

girlygrandma

badge passes
Old 07-15-2008, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I punch a hole in my bathroom passes then attached the pass to a badge necklace. Kids wear as a necklace and can't take it off until they return and use the hand cleaner that is on their desk.
girlygrandma is offline   Reply With Quote

Zee

Old 07-15-2008, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I like the hand sanitizer bottle idea. I like having a visual on a student's desk so I know who is gone and having them take a small squirt of sanitizer is a good idea for those students who forget to wash in the bathroom.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-15-2008, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Our students are required to sign in/out in their planners and take those with them to the restroom. However, I also have mine sign out for me, and I have clip ID badges that they have to take. That helps me know who is where.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

luvinlife

Old 07-15-2008, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I have a card flipping chart with each students name or number that is used to show their behavior for the day. When a student goes to the restroom, they take the boys' or girls' bathroom pass and put it in the pocket chart in their pocket. That way, I can see at a glance who is gone, and also the passes do not go to the restroom and get into who knows what.
luvinlife is offline   Reply With Quote

sassymollasi

class list
Old 07-15-2008, 11:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I have students sign out, then place a clothespin on thier name so I can see who is out of the room.
sassymollasi is offline   Reply With Quote

kansasteacher

Pass on desk
Old 07-15-2008, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

My first year of teaching I had a problem of students seeing one person go to the bathroom and then everyone wants to go. Also I had students who would get bored and "need" to use the restroom six times a day. Sooooo I printed off bathroom passes taped them to each student's desk and if they had to use the restroom during class time they used their pass (threw it away). They only got one pass per month and if you didn't use your pass at the end of the month you got a treat. Now I know what your thinking, but these were 4th graders AND we had a total of four whole class bathroom breaks a day, plus if it was an emergency (stomach problem) they could just go. Also if I knew of a student who had issues going that's fine. The passes were really for those students who "didn't use the whole class break respectfully" which means they didn't take the time to go. It stopped the chain effect of everyone going and also stopped the frequent visitors.
kansasteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

cindylb

passes
Old 07-15-2008, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I have my kids sign in and out. We have to give hall passes so I use address labels made on the computer that say bathroom pass with my name on it so my passes don't have to go to the bathroom. I usually get them at dollar tree so it is real inexpensive.
cindylb is offline   Reply With Quote

spotsy

Sign Out Sheet
Old 07-15-2008, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I keep paper either taped next to the door or I have used a clipboard with paper. Students sign out and put the time they leave and the reason for leaving (water, bathroom, library, etc) It is easy to track certain students' behaviors when you have times listed. Last year, one girl was leaving at the same time each day. I found out she was meeting someone from another class in the bathroom. The sign out sheets are also great for parent conferences if a student tends to leave the room frequently.
spotsy is offline   Reply With Quote

kristindixon

Beads
Old 07-15-2008, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I have my kids wear mardi gras beads as my passes. They are sitting back by the door. When they need to use the restroom during work time, they know to go stand by the passes and wait for me to nod. They then put on the necklace and can go. This eliminates constant asking and hopefully them touching it while in the bathroom....now, we can only assume that they are actually washing their hands while there :0. Also, if the beads break or get lost, they are real cheap at the party store. It has worked real well for me the past few years.
kristindixon is offline   Reply With Quote

shazam

Bathroom passes
Old 07-15-2008, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I have a boys pass and girls pass from Dollar Tree. I hang them on them wall. Instead of taking them with them, students move their clip (I use clips for attendance/lunch count) and clip it onto the pass so I know who's in the bathroom.
shazam is online now   Reply With Quote

iteach4th

Thanks....
Old 07-15-2008, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

once again, PT friends! I'm always amazed at all of the wonderful ideas that get posted here!

I love so many of these ideas! Now I just need to decide which one to use!! Thanks so much for taking the time to post!

This is a fabulous site, isn't it???
iteach4th is offline   Reply With Quote