Andrew Clements Author Study - ProTeacher Community

Teach'n'Learn

Andrew Clements Author Study
Old 07-15-2008, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just got a stack of Andrew Clements books, and I was wondering if anyone had ever done an author study of him for sixth grade. Do you think they're appropriate grade level or possibly too young?

Teach'n'Learn is offline   Reply With Quote

sassymollasi

too easy
Old 07-15-2008, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

AC books might be too easy. However, he uses a very distinct pattern/formula in his books and it might be fun to do a quick unit where everyone reads a different one and use some critical analysis activities to compare and contrast the books, looking for that formula.

That said, I always start the year with FRINDLE because it is such a great book. All the kids have success with it and success is a GREAT way to start the year.

Of course I have a ton of stuff at school. I will try to post some stuff on here later on this fall, keep an eye for it.
sassymollasi is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach'n'Learn

Old 07-15-2008, 09:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Oh, that's a great idea about looking for the formula. I've only read a few (Frindle, The Landry News, and Things Hoped For), so I still have to read through the ones I got.

I had to write a Frindle unit for the credential program I'm in (well, any novel, but I chose Frindle) . That's what got me thinking about doing Andrew Clements. I love Frindle.

Last edited by Teach'n'Learn; 07-15-2008 at 09:36 PM..

relax248

What's the purpose of your author study?
Old 07-19-2008, 09:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Andrew Clements is an author that children of all ages love. The reading level for most of his books are below a sixth grade level, however they deal with topics that lend themselves to wonderful discussions for sixth graders. If you are planning this author study to excite students about reading - I think Andrew Clements is a good choice. Although his books are an easy read for sixth grade, the activities that you chose to do with them can provide the challenge.
In my sixth grade class, I use some of his books in guided reading groups and we have terrific discussions that often involve the whole class. For example, The Report Card - Students discuss whether or not they agree with Nora's opinion about grades. She believes that grades are arbitrary and do not matter that much. My students had a lively debate about many of Nora's actions in this book.
I really enjoy using Andrew Clements books in my class because they are easily accessible to all of the students in my class - even those who are not reading on grade level can read and understand them. They deal with topics that students can personally relate to.
I often introduce his books at the start of the year when I talk to students about Reading for Meaning. In order to read for meaning, students must make connections - Text-to-Self, Text-to-Text, and Text-to-World. Andrew Clements books give students an opportunity to make those connections especially text-to-self connections.
relax248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach'n'Learn

clements
Old 07-19-2008, 11:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

relax, my two thoughts - based on the limited books I've read and what I've heard about the other stories - were to use it to get excited about reading and to bridge into talking about what ways sixth graders can make a difference in their communities (like in Frindle and Landry News). I want to tie it into a book fair/read-a-thon that the sixth grade is going to help put on. First get them excited about reading, then get them excited about helping their community, then put on a read-a-thon to raise money and get more people reading.

They were very preliminary thoughts.

Quote:
Andrew Clements is an author that children of all ages love.
That's what I would have thought. In fact, I'm trying to get my DH read Frindle this summer even though it's below his reading level.

babyruth

I read
Old 07-21-2008, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

the camping one (I can't remember the title) to my 5/6 combo class last year. They all liked it. It was perfect because the character was a 5th grader, but then he went camping with his teacher which is what our 6th graders do! It has a great message of teacher/student relationship!
babyruth is offline   Reply With Quote

SSnut

The camping one
Old 07-21-2008, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The camping one is A Week in the Woods. I like The Report Card too. I think it would appeal to your gifted kids.
SSnut is offline   Reply With Quote