Help

ARCHIVE

Camping/Hiking Theme

>

pkjw

Camping/Hiking Theme
Old 06-05-2006, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am doing a camping/Hiking theme for fifth grade math and language arts. I need help with bulletin board headers for the math boards.

For Reading I was thinking of doing something like..."Warming up with a good book" or "Camping out with a good book" I would create a campfire for the board and have students put up titles of books they have read on flames? or pine cones? or fireflies? or marshmallows?

For math I have nothing...help, please!

pkjw is offline   Reply With Quote

lchristmom

Camping Theme
Old 06-05-2006, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For math, you could use "Hiking Along the Math trail". Show a camper hiking among cutout rocks. On the rocks, put the different properties of numbers such as the identity property, associative property, etc. or put different math facts.

"Put Your Best Foot Forward" - Show hiking boots with classroom rules written on them

"Pack of Reading Words" (or math facts or anything else) - Use a hiker's backpack and show words (math facts, etc.) coming out of it.

Last edited by lchristmom; 06-05-2006 at 09:52 AM..
lchristmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Jen L

camping theme
Old 06-05-2006, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What about..."S'more math facts" or "On the trail to success"? If I think of anymore, I'll post them. :-)
Jen L is offline   Reply With Quote
LoveTeachin'

LoveTeachin'

Teacher
Old 06-10-2006, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am also thinking about doing a camping theme for Kindergarten and have been brainstorming ideas. "We're making tracks into 5th Grade" or "Making Math Tracks" Carson Dellosa carries a really cute set with a moose, pine tree, and other forest friends. It is in the D.J. Inkers section. They also have cute cards with twigs as a border that you could use to put math concepts on. You also could do something with fishing. There is a set that is going to be discontinued that has a bear fisherman. You could do "We're Catchin' on to...". Hope this helps.

Mrs. O

Old 06-13-2006, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

J.D. Inkers has a really cute set for bulletin boards. I love her stuff. I was on the Carson Dellosa site and they had some campling things too.

Mrs. O is offline   Reply With Quote

Melissa/1st/TN

Check scrapbook stores
Old 07-11-2006, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

For my camping theme, I got several specialty papers and stickers from our local scrapbooking store. You can use them to make charts, etc. to go along with your theme. I have lots of ideas on my site for camping. See room tour, units-back to school...etc.
http://www.smithsroom.com
Melissa/1st/TN is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Camping theme
Old 05-27-2007, 03:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I like your idea about "warming up to a good book." I was going to do a similar thing in my room. How about having students put books they like on stars for the sky above the campfire. You could use snowflakes in winter and bugs in the spring. I like the idea of fireflies, too!

For math I thought I would put an eagle flying above all my math vocabulary posters, and put "A Bird's Eye View of Math."

I also thought I would have a Word Woods. On each of my windows I would put a tree trunk, and then have the students add leaves that fit the prefix or suffix we are studying- example words that use pre- . This would be part of my word study literacy station. I would use green leaves in August and September, switch to orange and brown for Oct. to Nov. Use snowflakes for winter, buds for spring. I could change the titles to things like- finding synonyms and antonyms, etc..
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote