Help

ARCHIVE

Nightly Reading Log

>

Butterfly40

Nightly Reading Log
Old 07-19-2008, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have my students read for 20 minutes each night. I would like to include a written component, log, so that the students can record their reading. I don't want it to be too cumbersome but I do want them thinking and writing about their reading. Any ideas?

Butterfly40 is offline   Reply With Quote

berryblue

as a parent, I have a different view now
Old 07-19-2008, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I used to do a reading log... and would get all over the kids and parents if they were not filled out..... then my son went to school.........

We read every single night, but we never filled out the log.... we read upstairs and the log was always downstairs... we couldn't find a pen, fogot the name of the book etc... when the log was upstairs I would forget to turn it in......

so, I vowed never to do it again.....

That is just my personal experience.. as a teacher and a mom..

BB
berryblue is offline   Reply With Quote

maggiehgs

Old 07-19-2008, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've used a log in both 3rd and 5th grade. I, too, think it's important to connect the reading to writing! The log that I use is a tweaked Laura Candler log that can be found here: http://www.lauracandler.com/reading/homereadlog.pdf
maggiehgs is offline   Reply With Quote

monicaw

nightly reading/writing
Old 07-19-2008, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My kids have a different question to answer after they read for 30 min each night. You can find them on my website. Just look under reading response questions. I have some for the 1st and 2nd semester.
http://www.teacherweb.com/tx/armstro...lbanks3rdgrade
monicaw is offline   Reply With Quote

amylea77

Reading Response
Old 07-19-2008, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I just recently created some reading response assignments that I plan on using with reading log this year. I am asking them to read 15 mins a night and respond to their reading once a week, whichever day they chose, and turn it in by Friday. You can download my forms from my website and take a look! I really wanted add an element of accountability to my reading logs this year, and get them thinking about their reading. I am not sure if I will just rotate through the 9 forms I have created, or make more later. Hope they are helpful or at least sparks an idea for you.

http://www.mrssnodgrass.com/index.ph...ngteachers.htm

amylea77 is offline   Reply With Quote

macaroney3

Great Websites
Old 07-19-2008, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for sharing, ladies!
macaroney3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Room205

Reading Calendar
Old 07-21-2008, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I too, use a reading type log for at home reading. My students are encouraged to read 15-20 minutes a day. At the start of the school year, I give each parent a reading calendar - one for each school month. At the bottom of each calendar I have a "focus tip of the month" that describes a helpful reading strategy.

The writing component comes on the back - the children are asked to write down the books they read throughout the month, and write a brief summary of their favorite book, including at least 3 reasons why it was their favorite. The parents initial each day that the children read, or I have some parents just sign the calendar and say "my child read every night" to keep it simple.

The calendars are due the first week of the following month, and the reward is a homework pass. To earn the homework pass the kids must have read at least 5 nights a week, and have completed the writing component. It works better for me than weekly reading logs because it is less for me to keep track of!
Room205 is offline   Reply With Quote