DRA 54 - 60+ Reading books needed... - ProTeacher Community

elmosjeep

DRA 54 - 60+ Reading books needed...
Old 07-20-2008, 08:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone! I am a third grade teacher but have a gifted child coming to me who is reading at a DRA 60. I actually had this student two years ago when I taught first grade, and he left me reading a 44...he is now around a 60. Does anyone have any good book suggestions that I could do in a reading group with him? A little about him - loves fantasy, sports, and is a wonderful, fun loving kid...He is very mature and loves to read. Thanks so much!

elmosjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

CountryJo

Super Sport Book
Old 07-20-2008, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My husband just finished QUIET STRENGTH by Tony Dungy and just loved it. It is the story of the coach of the Indianapolis Colts and talks about how to practice godly principles for a winning life. It is a pretty G rated book, but a super read. My son,34, who was in this same boat at 3rd grade level also enjoyed Sports Illustrated and this was before SI for Kids was available.

In terms of Fantasy - If he hasn't already read the Redwall Series, this is a favorite of boys. The WAYFINDER by Darcy Pattison was an interesting book that I used as a read aloud with 4th graders as it was a Georgia Book Award Nominee several years ago. THE MEASLE AND WRATHMONK by Ian Ogilvy was an interesting read also a Ga Book Nom.
I'm not familiar with the SHIELD,SWORD, and STAR series by Hillari Bell, but her newest book has been given some pretty good reviews.

Hope this helps.
CountryJo is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachFun

Old 07-20-2008, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had a 3rd grade student last year who was reading well above 6th grade level. His choice books were all fantasy, with a late bend towards mythology. He did not like some of the realistic fiction genre we read together! He enjoyed the series Guardians of Ga'Hoole (and so have I).

He also read a Chris D'Lacey series, Fire Within or Icefire might have been the beginning of the series. I haven't read those.

One of my favorite authors (which this child also enjoyed) is Cornelia Funke. She's written Thief Lord, Dragon Rider, Inkspell and others. Those are fabulous fantasy books, extremely well written.
TeachFun is offline   Reply With Quote

Riley907

Gifted student
Old 07-20-2008, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Matt Christopher writes sports books that might interest him. There are several authors who also write sport books.

Gary Paulsen, Louis Sachar, and Andrew Clements are authors that I like.

I like the Gregor the Overlander series by Suzanne Collins- fantansy tale. Also Harry Potter, The Chronicles of Narnia.
Riley907 is offline   Reply With Quote

connorsmom020

Fantasy
Old 07-20-2008, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with the previous post about Cornelia Funke--I had boys who would read nothing else last year.

Also, the Charlie Bone series (I can't remember the author) has been compared to Harry Potter series. I don't ready fantasy but husband is a sci-fi freak and he said these were good.

Has he read the Lord of the Rings triology? If not have him read them and compare them to the movies.

Good Luck----maybe if he is mature enough, he could spend some reading time with 4th or 5th grade.

connorsmom020 is offline   Reply With Quote

audriana

Old 07-20-2008, 01:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

what about nonfiction? I had a gifted third grader last year and he loved nonfiction.
audriana is offline   Reply With Quote

hsteph

Have you tried searching these sites?
Old 07-21-2008, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You can enter keyword searches on these sites, at the level of your choice for recomendations. You could then choose the titles you want to use.

http://www.lexile.com/findabook/StudentInfo.aspx
(a level 60 DRA is equivalent to 800-1050)

Another site is:
http://bookwizard.scholastic.com/tbw/homePage.do

Hope those help!
hsteph is offline   Reply With Quote