Best grades to teach as a New Teacher? - ProTeacher Community

jcm923

Best grades to teach as a New Teacher?
Old 07-20-2008, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In your opinion can you tell me what the best grades are to teach as a new teacher going into their first or second year teaching? Please also tell me why you chose that grade over other grades. Thank You!

jcm923 is offline   Reply With Quote

babyruth

Grade
Old 07-20-2008, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I really believe it is a personal preference. I love teaching the older elementary. I student taught in 4th grade, had an aide position with 5th and then a job with 6th and stayed there for 7 years! I love them! I think I can relate to them well. I have been able to teach 5th too. They are a bit more "innocent" then the 6th graders. I love them too! One day I may teach younger students, who knows. I just simply love to teach!
babyruth is offline   Reply With Quote

gg

Old 07-20-2008, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Well, I didn't have a choice. Actually, the person that hired me (not a principal) asked what grade I'd like and I said sixth. He gave me K. I'm glad he did.The school I was sent to has an AM and PM teacher in each K room. Both teachers work all day but are only responsible for their class. I got to watch the morning teacher and learned a lot from her. I'd never taught K before and I was returning to teaching after 13 years of being a SAHM. I think the 6th graders would have eaten me alive.
gg is offline   Reply With Quote

newteach86

3rd Grade
Old 07-20-2008, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This will be my first year of teaching and I am teaching the grade I love the most....3rd Grade! Of course it is a personal preference, but I think 3rd graders are at the point where they are still young, cute and loving but also they understand right from wrong and are like little mini 4th and 5th graders without the attitude. But again, I think it it a personal preference.
newteach86 is offline   Reply With Quote

nilvero

I don't think there is
Old 07-21-2008, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't think there is neccessarily a best grade for a new teacher. It's all on what you'd feel most comfortable with. I felt very comfortable with first graders after doing my student teaching in that grade.

But as a new teacher, you have to be ready to teach whatever grade they give you. Even though I applied for a lot of first grade positions, I also applied for other grades as well. I personally like all the grades except kindergarten, so I would have been happy in any grade.

nilvero is offline   Reply With Quote

I teach K!

grade level
Old 07-21-2008, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think all grade levels have their positives and negatives. (My favorite is Kindergarten) However, as a new teacher, I think it is important to teach in a grade level where you would have support from your grade level team. At my school some teams are very welcoming and supportive of each other and some teams tend to close their doors and do their own thing.
I teach K! is offline   Reply With Quote

New24th

Hard to answer
Old 11-16-2008, 09:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I know that all through college I loved the younger grades (K-2) and did my student teaching in 2nd and loved it, yet again! However when it came to getting a job there were no K-2 positions available in my county. I ended up with 4th and surprising to me, I love it! They are just big babies! I was surprised and now think that I prefer them over my original choice.
New24th is offline   Reply With Quote