TB test - rash? - ProTeacher Community

sambrolaw

TB test - rash?
Old 07-20-2008, 10:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had a TB test a week ago for my new position. In the past couple of days I have developed a small red rash about the size of a dime where the test was done. The test was negative (got it on Monday, read on Wednesday). It doesn't itch or anything, it's just red and raised just a bit (not like a whelp, but a like a raised rash...). A know a positive TB test shows is a large bump. I have no other symptoms (at least I think I don't). Is it possible to have an allergic reaction to a TB test? Has anyone ever had something like this happen to you? Should I call the doctor? I've had multiple TB tests in the past, and never had this happen.

MrsCroak

Old 07-20-2008, 10:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

you may want to call your dr. in the morning just to make sure you're not allergic to it. you would know if you had TB, as you would feel very unhealthy. that shouldn't be a worry.

MJH

Webmd
Old 07-20-2008, 10:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is what Webmd said about after the test.

After the test
Some redness at the skin test site is expected. The site may itch, but it is important that you do not scratch it, since this may cause redness or swelling that could make it hard to read the skin test. If itching is a problem, put a cold washcloth on the site and then dry it.

If you still have concerns I would call the doctors office in the morning just to put your mind at ease.

audriana

yes, it's possible
Old 07-21-2008, 04:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

my daughter always had sensitive skin and the test would irritate her skin. when she was little, they wanted me to give her the tb medicine, but there were way too many side effects for me. I told them that my brother always had the reaction, too. She actually had to have a chest x-ray before she started school.

Now, they know her arm is going to be irritated. She just had another test this week to get ready to go away to college and sure enough her arm is red with a bump.

LVinSC

I'm allergic to TB tests.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Any time I get a TB test I get a large red bump that lasts for about a month. My tests always look postive because of it so I end up getting chest xrays to prove I don't have TB. It's a hassle. Personally, I would just wait for it to go away, unless it seems to get worse. If it bothers you, call your dr., but be prepared to go get a chest xray. If they make you get the xray, ask for then to notate in your chart you are allergic to the test so that next time you can skip the test and just get the xray.

IMHISTORY

Old 07-21-2008, 09:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I know several people who have had reactions to TB tests similar to yours. Some people just can be sensitive at the injection site.
In any case it would not hurt to call the Dr. In some situations a TB test reaction can be delayed. However, that is usually in the case with people who have compromised immune systems. I would be more concerned if you had a welt as opposed to a raised rash.

Please also note that the tests tests for antibodies. Believe it or not, many people test positive for TB and feel fine. Most people that test positive have been exposed to TB-but do not have an active infection. People that have a positive TB test will need to get a yearly chest x-ray to rule out an active TB infection.
FYI

FYI

Old 07-21-2008, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

just a little fyi...TB test determine if you've been exposed to the virus not that it's active and your sick. So a test could come back positive and you are totally healthy.
But it doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about.

happyteachin

I agree with FYI...
Old 07-21-2008, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

A positive test just means you have been exposed to the virus not that you have it. I just want to add that even if someone DID have Tb they might not fell horrible. It doesn't always work like that.
LadyCelticWol

LadyCelticWol

Old 02-20-2009, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks for this info. I just got a 2nd test for TB (My employer doesn't fool around about wanting to make sure no one has or is potentially susceptible to it!) and while the first test came back negative(no reaction) now I'm looking at a dime-sized irritation on my forearm the day after. No raised welt or anything so I'm not going to stress it.

thanks again!