Idea for whiteboard erasers - ProTeacher Community

funteacher7

Idea for whiteboard erasers
Old 07-21-2008, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just wanted to share my idea for whiteboard erasers. Instead of wasting tissues or spending money on lots of erasers, I buy pom poms from Michaels for 2 or 3 dollars. They are reusable and that way if you are doing a class activity with the boards, you don't waste 20 tissues every time. At the end of the year just throw them out and get a new package (they get gross by the end).

funteacher7 is offline   Reply With Quote

charmed

whiteboard erasers
Old 07-21-2008, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

At our school we take regular chalkboard erasers and put them in a clean white sports sock. You can wash the sports socks or use a new one.
charmed is offline   Reply With Quote

3grteacher

Another Idea
Old 07-21-2008, 08:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I buy those stretchable little black gloves. You can get two pairs for about 1.50ish. That's 4 erasers!

The kids love to put the glove on the hand they don't write with, and can erase quickly.

To store them, I put the marker in the glove!

Plus with them being black, they don't show all the dirty marker marks! (plus they are washable!!)
3grteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Cleopatra

Old 07-21-2008, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Love the ideas. Glad I read this before throwing away my boys' socks that dont' have pairs. However, what stretchable gloves? Where do you buy them. I'll buy some for me personally, forget the kids.
I have tried fleece. I've cut up an old fleece jacket into squares and used that last year. Fleece cleans the marks on the boards that regular board erasers don't clean.
Cleopatra is offline   Reply With Quote

only4Him

Socks
Old 07-21-2008, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have each child bring a sock from home...preferably an older one where the other has gone missing! We all know dryers eat socks!

only4Him is offline   Reply With Quote

3grteacher

Target, Walmart....all those stores
Old 07-21-2008, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You can get those gloves at any of those stores. Meijers, Kmart.....

Our supply list has the socks on them, but I just send them home. I am kind of picky. I can't stand looking at all the dirty nasty looking socks by the end of the year.
3grteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

teach4k

Old 07-21-2008, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I bring in used dryer sheets to clean the boards, it works great, they are basically free since many people use the sheets and you can always get family members to save them for you like I do!!! I use the kind like snuggles or downy ones..or store brand ones like those. I put a coffee can on the shelf next to my dryer...everytime I take out my clothes I put it in there. I also have a coffee can at school that I have decorated and I refill it when needed. When they get too dirty you just toss them...
teach4k is offline   Reply With Quote

Cleopatra

Old 07-21-2008, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

3grteacher, thank you again. I'll try them. Love the black color for the same reason.
Cleopatra is offline   Reply With Quote

alicej

whiteboard
Old 07-21-2008, 08:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I use good old washclothes from walmart, the cheap white ones in packs of 20. They get dirty, I take them home and wash them. I very seldom use whiteboards, my kids write on their desks. With the washclothes and my 1 dollar squirt bottle with a little alcohol in it to spray the desks and thats it.
alicej is offline   Reply With Quote

tshae

alicej? whiteboards...
Old 07-21-2008, 09:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Your students just write on top of their desk? What do they write with? That sounds very interesting.
Thanks...
tshae is offline   Reply With Quote

tshae

Writing on the desks
Old 07-21-2008, 09:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Your students just write on top of their desk? What do they write with? That sounds very interesting.
Thanks...
tshae is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

felt squares as erasers
Old 07-21-2008, 10:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I buy the larger sheets of felt from a craft store and cut them up into about 2x3" pieces to give to each student. This has worked for me! (I like the idea about the used dryer sheets, too. Maybe I'll give those a try next school year!)
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

whiteboard ideas
Old 07-22-2008, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I use whiteboards with my kids, and like a PP, I also have my kids sometimes write directly on their desks. My problem with that is that I have 4 round tables with a wood-look top. Only one table has a light color finish. It's easier to see on the white boards.

I bought CHEAP washcloths from Wal-Mart--packages of 10 for a couple of bucks. I was lucky enough to get 2 packs in RAINBOW colors--bright red, blue, green, yellow and purple! This worked great for me since I color code my tables. They are washable, and have lasted me several years now.

By the way, an activity that my kids love to do that involves writing on their desks is this multiplication activity (although it is adaptable to many skills): I took a paper plate--the really cheap kind--and cut out the center, leaving just a ring. On the ring I wrote random numbers around-like a clockface, but not in order. I flipped the ring and recorded answers (which I will explain in a sec.) The student places the ring face up and in the center writes the multiplication family for that ring, such as x9. Then the student multiplies that number times all the ones on the ring, writing the answer on the desk outside and around the ring (beside the number). To check their answers, the student flips the ring and compares the answers on the ring to what they wrote.

Now the part about recording the answers to make it self-checking--be sure that you write the answer in the same position the number is on the ring. What I mean is, if you wrote 8 in the 12 o'clock position, you will write 72 in the 12 o'clock position on the back--and in that case, the answer will be right behind the number. However, if you write 4 in the 1 o'clock position on the front and on the back, the answer will actually be behind the front number that is in the 8 o'clock position. Does that make any sense? The first time I tried to make one of these, I wrote the numbers on the front, then looked at the number and wrote the answer right behind it, which results in the answers all being backwards when the child flips the ring.
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

ccteacher

tweet!
Old 07-22-2008, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I love your multiplication idea! Thanks for sharing!

I'm looping to 4th with my third-graders this year and that will be a fun, new way for us to review at the beginning of the year!
ccteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

scateacher

Love...
Old 07-22-2008, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

the multiplication idea. Thanks for sharing!!
scateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher2

mini erasers
Old 07-22-2008, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I tried the socks for a couple of years and I just couldn't deal with the dirty looking socks after awhile.
I finally invested in those tiny little dry erase erasers at Lakeshore, and I must say to their credit, they have held up for at least 4 years! Much to my surprise. I like that they are all uniform in size, I can store them in a pencil box and keep them neat and organized. They are usually on sale right about now, every savings here and there helps.
teacher2 is offline   Reply With Quote

abra123

Felt
Old 07-22-2008, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I cut up felt squares, too.

Amy
abra123 is offline   Reply With Quote

ecsmom

Old 07-22-2008, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Lots of great ideas here. I just scored big time at our local surplus store. I got packs of 4 colored Expos with a full sized eraser and a small bottle of whiteboard cleaner for 1.99 a pack. I got enough to supply my expected class size.
ecsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
34Teacher

34Teacher

Old t-shirts
Old 07-22-2008, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I use old t-shirts of my husbands that have been washed. These hold up pretty good all year. If not there is always another old shirt to cut apart.

tweet

another idea
Old 07-22-2008, 08:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I got this idea at a workshop a couple of years ago. The presenter had purchased those little stick-on felt circles you put under furniture feet to keep it from scratching your floor. Does that make sense? Anyway, they come in several sizes. She bought some small ones, and stuck them on the ends of her dry erase markers. The only drawback to the ones she had was that then you couldn't stick the cap into the end of the marker during use. but I guess that would depend on which kind of markers you have and what kind of cap is on it.
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

AussieBird

Mini whiteboard erasers
Old 07-23-2008, 01:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Am I missing something? Why not just buy mini whiteboard erasers? Is it the cost involved?
I just did a google search and found they are very reasonably priced. See attachment:
Attached Files
File Type: doc Mini Whiteboard erasers.doc (108.0 KB, 87 views)
AussieBird is offline   Reply With Quote

abra123

Felt ...
Old 07-23-2008, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I use felt because it takes up very little space in their pencil boxes. Plus, it's dirt cheap.

Amy
abra123 is offline   Reply With Quote

klh2

AussieBird
Old 07-23-2008, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I prefer using socks or old hand towels because, unlike the erasers, I don't have the flecks of marker to clean up. For some reason there isn't quite the mess.
klh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cob203

cheap erasers
Old 07-31-2008, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I buy a box of micro fiber wipes from the grocery store. I give each child one in a snack baggie. They usually last until January and I give them a new one. 3 ro 4 bucks and I'm done!
Cob203 is offline   Reply With Quote