Help

ARCHIVE

Need activities for advanced readers

>

dt3rdgrade

Need activities for advanced readers
Old 07-23-2008, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have any activities for your advanced readers to complete while you are working with the struggling readers? Thanks for posting in advance.

dt3rdgrade is offline   Reply With Quote

mimi3

Mad Libs
Old 07-23-2008, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I subbed for 2 years before teaching 3rd grade last year, so I got a lot of ideas from veteran teachers. One teacher had mad libs blown up and laminated. Early finishers used dry erase markers to fill them out. I'm thinking of doing this the upcoming school year. Someone also posted some word work ideas either on this board or another- how many words can you come up with from a given set of letters. This could work as well.
mimi3 is offline   Reply With Quote

bshelton

Take it to your seat
Old 07-23-2008, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have bought a couple of the "Take it To Your Seat" books. They take a little bit of time to set-up originally, but they are pretty easy once they're done. One thing I really liked about the books is that they really hit the standards for each grade level pretty well.
bshelton is offline   Reply With Quote

jmartell

What about jobs?
Old 07-23-2008, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have various "jobs" in a container and they have to pull one out to complete about the book they just read. The titles are summarizer, word wizard, illustrator, alternate ender-maker, question king or queen...Each of the slips has the directions and examples of the task on them. I use these same jobs for my literature circles, but it also works well when kids are not reading the same book. They share their completed job with a partner and I look over them VERY quickly too. Another thing: I have a book- I think from Scholastic- with a ton of reader's responses and that has helped me enrich those higher readers too. I think the book is actually called Reader's Responses or something like that.
jmartell is offline   Reply With Quote