Poison Ivy on cloth furniture--what to do? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Poison Ivy on cloth furniture--what to do?

>

TootSweet

Poison Ivy on cloth furniture--what to do?
Old 07-24-2008, 06:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Any advice on how to get rid of the poisonous oils on furniture? This is a strange situation because no one in my family is affected by it, but we have a family friend who travels to visit us 3-4 times per year. It never fails that she breaks out in poison ivy or sumac across the backs of her legs. She is just miserable and I feel so bad because I do not exactly know the source of her contamination. There is none in our yard, and the only thing that I can imagine is that at one point, it was carried in on the dog or pants and got onto the furniture. No one else is affected by it, but she has a lot of allergies anyway so she must be highly allergic.
Any advice would be appreciated!

crockpotqueen

Tecnu
Old 07-24-2008, 06:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There is a lotion called tecnu that was originally invented to break down radioactive residue.. I dont know if it works for that, but it works on poison ivy oils. You should be able to find it at the drug store. Your friend can put it on her skin for prevention. I don't know about applying it to the furniture.

I wonder if cleaning the upholstery with a steam cleaner (like rug doctor) would help. Maybe some oxyclean or woolite or something might break down the oils.

bookgeek59

white vinegar?
Old 07-24-2008, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Apparently there is not a lot of info online about this. I only found this bit below.
FROM http://www.activ8.sapphiremoon.info/clean.php
• White Vinegar – Almost the most natural substance you can find, white vinegar is both cheap and highly effective. The active ingredient is acetic acid. Acids neutralize alkaline substances such as hard water scale and dissolve gummy build up, eat away tarnish and remove dirt from wood surfaces. Vinegar is also a fantastic glass and window cleaner.
We heard that vinegar will also kill poison ivy, but didn’t believe it. We were proven wrong last year. Not only does it work, it works great!

Could you maybe call a furniture store or a home steam cleaning service for some guidance? Or a local extension agent- you can find one near you at this link. http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

twin2

Cover the furniture
Old 07-24-2008, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you can't decontaminate the furniture, perhaps you can offer a clean sheet or towel to sit on. Chances are if you decontaminate the furniture, the dog or a family member will recontaminate it before your guest arrives anyway.

TootSweet

Thanks!!!
Old 07-24-2008, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the advice! In addition to covering the furniture we are washing all of the bedding each day and changing out towels. Ughh. I just feel so sorry for her!