First Day Jitters - ProTeacher Community

1styearscare

First Day Jitters
Old 07-25-2008, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a new teacher and just bought the book First Day Jitters yesterday. I was wondering if anyone has any fourth grade appropriate activities to go along with the book. If you could help me out that would be great! Thanks!

1styearscare is offline   Reply With Quote

craftygal

writing
Old 07-25-2008, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Have them break open their new writing journal by having them write what they were feeling and thinking today as they were getting ready for school. You might also read Shel Silverstein's poem "What if" Get them writing right away. This writing sample will show you just what kind of skill they have.
craftygal is offline   Reply With Quote

Rm. 802

First Day Jitters
Old 07-25-2008, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I just purchased that book this summer, too. I have taught for 14 years and still have some jitters on the first day. I was thinking of a prediction activity where I would not read the ending and have the kids draw what the jittery perons looks like (I can't remember her name).
Rm. 802 is offline   Reply With Quote

galinchico

lesson plan ideas
Old 07-25-2008, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Scroll down on todays topics to creative ways to reteach procedures and go to the link of mandy gregory. On her website she lists this book and activities...I didn't look at them but saw them listed.
galinchico is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndcareer

First Day Jitters
Old 07-25-2008, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have used this book on the first day of school for the past 5 years!!

I use it as a "Getting to know you" activity...after I read the story and tell the children that I too had jitters this morning, I bring out my decorated "Me" bag and using items from my bag, I describe myself, the things I like etc.

The children then return to their seats and brainstorm, in their writer's notebooks, items that could represent themselves. Their "Me" bag becomes an at-home project (I provide them with the bags...the larger- sized, brown, paper lunch bags work well) and is due at school within two days. The children then do a small presentation introducing themselves.

This initial project usually tells me alot about my students...task completion, following directions, going "over and above", level of comfort speaking in front of a group...

another plus...now that my own children are teenagers, I am becoming out-of-touch with favorite TV shows, favorite movies of the 9-10 year-olds...this activity keeps me informed!!

Last edited by 2ndcareer; 07-25-2008 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: spelling error
2ndcareer is offline   Reply With Quote

MissMom6

Tylenol PM
Old 07-25-2008, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've been teaching for 12 years now, and I still have to take Tylenol PM the night before school starts. I just get so excited -- then nervous -- then my brain starts doing the hamster thing........
MissMom6 is offline   Reply With Quote

murry

First Day Jitter's lesson
Old 08-03-2008, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Someone from proteacher sent this site to me. A great lesson for The first Day Jitter's book.

http://www.charlesbridge.com/client/...ivityGuide.pdf
murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Ping01

Ping01

First Day Jitters
Old 07-03-2009, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Last year was my first year teaching and I sure got the jitters on the first day of first grade! My mentor and buddy teacher suggested that I use First Day Jitters as a tension breaker and assessment tool. I changed the names of the principal and several of the students in the book so that it became personal. I stopped reading near the end and had the students use feathers, felt, and all that other good stuff and had them create an image of the person who had the jitters. They then presented it to the class and explained their image. This time allowed me to walk around the room and get to know my fellow classmates for the year. We finished the story and had a vote on whose was the closest look-a-like. We then talked about their feelings and expectations for the year. We all had a ball and EVERYONE's jitters were gone when we ended the lesson.