Reward System - ProTeacher Community

JCat

Reward System
Old 07-25-2008, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What reward or behavior system do you have in your classroom? I'm new to 4th grade, and I'd like something a little more "adult" than my sweet treat or prize pail. Any ideas?

JCat is offline   Reply With Quote

khughesteach

Rewards
Old 07-25-2008, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

They like cute or fancy pens
Sticky note packs
Silly erasers
Key chains
sharpie markers
erasable pens
homework coupons
lunch bunch (lunch with the teacher)
khughesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

CatBells

I Don't
Old 07-25-2008, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't reward students for good behavior. Most reward systems don't work for the students who most need them anyway! I keep my students busy all day long with meaningful tasks. I spend time at the beginning of the year carefully going over rules and procedures. I place students who aren't "getting it" with strong role models. I make sure my students have sometime each day to be with a friend (lunch, recess, etc.). I make sure I have some personal contact with each student each day. I try to make at least three positive contacts before I have a negative contact.

I do keep notes a on clipboard to help me focus on the issues certain students may be having.

Additionally I am planning to introduce the Power Teaching techniques. (Google it; there are several U-Tube videos.) The main issues I had last year, not paying attention during instructional times and losing focus, will be addressed through shorter talk times with more active student participation.

OK, I've done this for 31 years. I have a lot of tools in my toolbox. But I just think sometimes we overthink this whole issue of behavior management!
CatBells is offline   Reply With Quote

only4Him

My rewards...
Old 07-25-2008, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I write SURPRISE on the board and if there is an S at the end of the week, they all get some type of surprise...extra stamps on their stamp card, extra recess time, eraser, etc.

They all have stamp cards and when full they can go to my prize box. They love the prize box. I make sure it has "cool" stuff in it.

Groups that have the most points at the end of the day get to play behavior bingo. I use to let the winning group leave at the end of the day first, but now we dismiss differently. That worked when I could do it! The losing group put up all the chairs.
only4Him is offline   Reply With Quote

williamsd10

checkbook
Old 07-25-2008, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our entire fourth grade does a checkbook system. St. start out with a "bonus" of $50 each six weeks. St. earn or lose money, and keep record of it in their checkbook (I also have a clipboard to record "losses" of money and why/date it was lost). Things they can earn money for are good citizenship, compliments from other teachers or staff, turning in homework on time, etc. Can lose money for talking, not turning in homework, repetitive misbehaviors, etc. At the end of the six weeks, if st. have at least $200 in their account, they get to participate in a celebration activity (varies each six weeks-movie, game day, ice-cream sundaes, etc.). Those who don't have enough are in study hall, usually doing work they didn't finish. They start fresh each six weeks (with another $50). I have everything typed up(how to earn/lose money and the reward/consequence at end of six weeks), and have them sign the "contract", along with their parents Kids love this system, and it teaches them how to keep a checkbook as well.
My local bank donates the registers, by the way.

williamsd10 is offline   Reply With Quote

rmewife97

Love this idea! williamd10
Old 07-25-2008, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I love the checkbook idea. If you would be willing to post the contract with the ways to earn money that would be really helpful.

Thank you for sharing...
rmewife97 is offline   Reply With Quote

ILOVETEACHIN

reward pen
Old 07-25-2008, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

At our school fourth graders still write in pencil. So, as a reward I pull a name each day and let them use an erasable pen. They absolutely love it. If I forget to pull a name they are sure to remind me. and not one student forgot to put the pen on my table at the end of the day. It was a cheap and easy reward that they loved. One of my collegues (sp) pulled a girls name and a boys name each day.
ILOVETEACHIN is offline   Reply With Quote