ARCHIVE

Ocean theme

>

Lovin'K

Lovin'K

Ocean theme
Old 06-11-2006, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have any great ocean ideas that I could use in decorating or teaching in the fall? Also, I am going to be using this theme on my first day of school tour. Any ideas on how I can incorporate ocean/beach into my tour? Thanks!!

Lovin'K

francoise

Ocean Ideas
Old 06-11-2006, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I picked up some really pretty ocean bulletin board paper at my teaching supply store. It is blue and has some fish on it. You could put out magnifying glasses and any collected shells, starfish, seahorses, or whatever to make a little science corner. You could read the book Swimmy on the first day of school to correspond to a friendship/ocean theme. You could have a few of those kid atlases with big pictures and teach them where the major oceans are. They could do art projects of fish and you could hang them on the ocean bulletin board. I don't have any other resources on the ocean for that level but I'm thinking of doing an ocean theme, too, if I get Kindergarten next year. If I find anything else I'll let you know.
francoise is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Google
Old 06-12-2006, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do an ocean unit and one of our favorite things is to fingerpaint an ocean mural and then cut out fish and other ocean creature stencils to glue on it. I use some glitter in the paint for the salty water. Ks love glitter. I googled "ocean theme in kindergarten" and found a ton of material.

As far as the tour, how about making it a treasure hunt? You could put ocean related items at all the stops--starfish in the library, conch shell in the office, etc and have the children be ocean explorers to find them.
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

francoise

Ocean Theme
Old 06-12-2006, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi, again,
I was just looking on the Weekly Reader website and there is an Ocean resource book for K-1. Look in the teacher resource section. This looks different. I just may get it myself.
francoise is offline   Reply With Quote

RebeccaF

An Ocean of Ideas (Ha,ha)
Old 06-14-2006, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I used an ocean theme a few years ago and it was terrific. Here are some ideas for setting up your classroom that might work well for you (by the way, I tried all these ideas in my own classroom):

1) Hang blue fabric or paper from your classroom ceiling to resemble waves. Crepe Paper streamers would also work well. On one wall, hang a carboard cutout of a boat (bottom) and an oar. I used a flattened cardboard box and drew planks on it for the boat bottom. I also used a wooden dowel and cardboard pieces to make the oar. Then I suspended the oar from the ceiling tiles as if it were rowing the boat.

2) Cover the windows with blue cellophane and window fish decals. You might also want to use crepe paper seaweed for a nice effect. This lends a nice blue glow to the classroom and encourages the underwater feeling.

3) I use one bulletin board as a job board that I leave up all year. I painted a simple underwater theme and used various sea creatures for my students. These were attached to the board with velcro buttons and each area represented a different job. I would rotate the pieces from job to job each week.

4) Create a bulletin board called "Hooked on learning" with an inexpensive fish net. Student work can be posted there or you could have your students create some sort of ocean themed art project (such as stuffed paper fish) for their first day project.

5) I borrowed a fishing pole and tacklebox from a friend and talked to the children about tools a fisherman might need to catch fish. Then we discussed the tools they would learn in school to "catch" on to learning. We made a list of the things the students wanted to learn about during the year and put it into the tacklebox.

6) I printed an enlarged clipart picture of a diver onto cardstock for each child. The students colored their divers and I took pictures of them and added their faces to the divers. We used these on our Hooked on Learning Board to indicate each child's work. It made it easy for parents to check out their child's work when they dropped them off for school.

7) Oriental Trading Company has loads of ocean related prizes and projects that are pretty inexpensive. You might want to check out their website.

Hope these ideas help! It's a terrific theme!

RebeccaF is offline   Reply With Quote

aliryan

Reading corner
Old 06-15-2006, 11:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You could create a beach for your reading corner. Bring in some deck chairs and a beach umbrella. Maybe put down a rug for sand and water.You could use coolers or sand buckets for book boxes in the area.
aliryan is offline   Reply With Quote

jwood

reading corner
Old 06-27-2006, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

reading corner-reader's reef: "sink your teeth into a good book"
Good work board: "Work to Treasure" behavior: "Behavior Beach"

maybe these are some things you can use

I am also doing a ocean theme, so let me know if you find any other great ideas!

thanks
jwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Shera

Shera

Ocean/Beach Ideas
Old 07-07-2006, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This fall will be my first year teaching and I have Kindergarten. I thought to try some of these ideas:

1) Paint one wall aqua with glitter paint for the waves.

2) Paint or make an octupus to put on the wall and put big numbers 1-8 on each of his legs

3) Do the fishnet thing (as mentioned) above and hang books in it that they will read during the year.

4) For a reading/storytime center, put out a beach chair, umbrella, and a few towels for them to sit on when they are listening or reading.

5) My mother-in-law actually has an old dingy boat and I may try to sweeze that into a corner somewhere as another place for them to read in or for some other function (not sure yet)

6)Treasure chest filled with anything such as books, or science things like shells, starfish, etc.

yesteach

Wyland
Old 07-08-2006, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I noticed in the TCM catalog that Wyland has created a whole line of materials for classrooms (posters, bulletin board sets, etc.). I'm not a huge fan, but his work is excellent. I also came across his "Wyland Ocean Challenge", when I was looking for what all was available (I have a friend who IS a huge fan). The challenge is excellent, and has activities for K-12 on the site. I'm thinking of incorporating that and using some of the materials during the time we work on the unit. Maybe a Wyland corner..

Here's the site for the materials:
http://www.teachercreated.com (and then search for Wyland)

Here's the site for the challenge:
http://www.wylandoceanchallenge.org/index.cfm?do=about
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote
firstyear

firstyear

ocean theme
Old 07-24-2006, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

This is my first year teaching and I am thinking of using an ocean/nautical theme. For vacation bible school, we needed treasure chests so we bought inexpensive styrofoam ince chests and spray -painted them gold and they are really cute. I think I will use these in my room as a reward chest.

Shera

Shera

CVS Ocean Props
Old 08-01-2006, 06:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

If any of you have a CVS pharmacy near by, they have some awesome ocean display things hanging from the ceiling from their summer display. They had a huge beach ball, sand buckets and scoops, a beach umbrella, fish, and something else. They gave them all to me this morning since they were about to take it down to put up the fall display. They are going to look so cute displayed in my room!