Reading Street plans - ProTeacher Community

aashley

Reading Street plans
Old 07-27-2008, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I FINALLY think I have my Reading Street plans figured out like I want them!!! I'm a first year teacher, but I'm sort of familiar with RS because I used it in my student teaching two years ago. Figuring out how to fit RS, trade books, and writing instruction all into roughly 110 min a day was quite a task!!!

We'll start off each day with the Daily Fix-It.

Monday I'll do a Spelling Pretest and have the students self-check to determine what words they will have for the test. Then I'll introduce the Skill and Strategy for the week and use the "Write" in the book that goes along with it, followed by an introduction to the vocab using Think-Pair-Shares.
Writer's Workshop will be next.
During the last 10-15 minutes of class I'll hand out their spelling lists and have them write them 3x each.

Tuesday-Thursday will be spent on the story in RS and "centers" to go along with the story, and SSR and Reader's Notebook. I'm attaching my plans for that.
Wed is shorter so that we can spend the 30-40 min of class on WW.

Friday we'll spend 5 minutes studying for our spelling test and then take the test. The next 45 min of class we'll be spent on literacy centers (these will vary week to week and will not be RS related).
The last 30-40 minutes will be for WW.

Please let me know what you think of this. Of course, any other ideas and input would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Attached Files
File Type: doc Plans-Reading.doc (55.5 KB, 677 views)
aashley is offline   Reply With Quote

teach72beach

SF reading street
Old 07-27-2008, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am not a new teacher but weve just adopted SF. I am still trying to figure it out. You are much further ahead than me on planning so I do have a couple of questions.
1. What is Dominoes Vocabulary?
2. What do you have the students do in their Readers Notebook?
3. What is the Scavenger Hunt you will do?
4. Are you having the kids do Spelling during your Reading block with you in small groups or?
5. Will you be giving the weekly selection assessment?
6. The series doesnt come with a grammar test. How will you test this?
teach72beach is offline   Reply With Quote

Becca

Old 07-27-2008, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Are you not using the leveled readers?

I don't use them much, but I do pull them out every now and then. We also read the story in the textbook together as a whole group.

I use the multiple choice grammar worksheet as my assessment (it is actually Thursday's worksheet) - it is easier for my ESL students to be successful when it isn't a fill in the blank.

I am also interested in what you will be doing in your reader's notebooks. That sounds like an interesting idea. Keep us updated how this works!
Becca is offline   Reply With Quote

BAX

Where are your leveled readers
Old 07-27-2008, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have found the leveled readers to be very useful. I have extended my Reading Street to a 7 day cycle so we can spend two days on the leveled readers. It is nice to have the kids working at their levels.
BAX is offline   Reply With Quote

honeybee

Reading Street
Old 07-27-2008, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This will be my second year teaching the Reading Street series. Make sure you check out the Jefferson County (Tennessee) web page.
Google it and it will come up. Check out Kristy Walke's literacy page.
We used several things from their site. The scavenger hunt is great -- and we eventually used it for a grade because our kids had so much trouble with the test. We also eventually made some spelling bubble tests with our ed.Helper.

I did not use the leveled readers or the A-R as much as I always had
in the past. There was so much material and you just have to pick and choose. This year I will do much more with the leveled readers.
Some teachers were really frustrated with this series -- but I just think it takes a while to "get used to the new series."

What you have done looks great! Good luck!

honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote

BAX

Uggg can't find the website
Old 07-27-2008, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Honeybee or anyone else who can help...I can't find the website that you are talking about for Jefferson County. Could someone please post a link???? I am very excited to see the scavenger hunt, because our kids too struggle with the test.

If anyone is willing to post the website, you would forever be my hero
BAX is offline   Reply With Quote

aashley

Old 07-27-2008, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

BAX -- Here is the website for the third grade. It is AWESOME!!!
http://classroom.jc-schools.net/walt...d%20Grade.html
This is where the scavenger hunt and dominoes are.

My school actually doesn't have all of the leveled readers (at least I don't believe they do...I think we only have the below level???). I teach in a very small, poor district and they kinda have to pick and choose what they need to order. Leveled readers weren't one of those things. When I did my student teaching, I thought they were okay, but I thought they took up a lot of time. In that class we spent two weeks on each unit so that we could also work in trade books along with the story from the text book and the leveled readers.
Back to being a small school and picking and choosing...my principal chose to only order enough of the text books to work in small groups. I would have liked to have done the story whole group, at least on the first day, but I don't really have a choice. I plan to divide my groups according to level, and just work with my students on the story and varying the discussions accordingly. I think it will actually work out well!

teach72beach
1. What is Dominoes Vocabulary? On the website I posted.
2. What do you have the students do in their Readers Notebook? This will kinda-sorta be a work in progress! We'll start with just a response to what they read, and we'll go from there!
3. What is the Scavenger Hunt you will do? On the website I posted.
4. Are you having the kids do Spelling during your Reading block with you in small groups or? The only thing we'll do whole group for spelling is the pre-test and the test. Computer on Tues and Thurs will be for Spelling and Vocab activities (although this could vary!). I have that time divided because I don't have enough computers in my class for the whole small group to work on at once! So they'll spend 15 min on the computer and then switch and spend the other 15 min on Library on Tues or Spelling on Thurs. I'll introduce the spelling and vocab whole group on Mon, and then they will do the spelling and vocab work independently within their small groups. I figured that a lot of teachers do these activities as morning work or homework anyway, but I don't want to send them home for HW.
5. Will you be giving the weekly selection assessment? No. I think the selection tests can be tricky and aren't appropriate for all of the different levels in the class. Instead, I'll do a Reading Response (either one from the book, one I make up, or there are some on the website I listed) to test their understanding.
6. The series doesnt come with a grammar test. How will you test this? I'm not using the Grammar and Writing book that comes with this program. I won't test the vocab that goes with the story, although there are vocab activities on that website if you want to use those to that. I'll use the Daily Fix-It to work on Grammar/mechanics, but I'll mainly use my Writer's Workshop for grammar.

I hope this makes sense! It's been a long day! Just ask if it's confusing...

Last edited by aashley; 07-27-2008 at 06:54 PM..

hsteph

I would love to see others' ideas!
Old 07-27-2008, 07:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Last year was my first year using RS. I would love to see postings from others who use the program. How do you design your lessons, particularly your group time? Do you use the centers from the book or do other things? How successful have you been at keeping things moving smoothly and all students remaining engaged in their work? Thanks!
hsteph is offline   Reply With Quote

J_Mac

Made Detours on Reading Street
Old 07-27-2008, 09:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I, too, completed my first year with Reading Street. I did the baseline testing, and it did shed a lot of similarities with each child's second grade teacher.

I, though, didn't start with Boom Town. I felt that story was way too out in another area that I didn't want to visit yet. I ended up starting with Suki's Kimono since it was about a new school year and diversity. That first week led me to how I would end up teaching Reading Street - with a lot of adjustments.

So what did I do for the year? The most part - I stuck to the stories and their respective skills - but I switched around the stories. Mondays, we warmed up with background knowledge, reading the story, then on Tues. and Wed. we did more leveled-reading work in small groups, then on Thurs we worked some more on the main story and closed it out with a test on Friday. Again, I ended up making a lot of detours b/c I felt I would take longer to teach the background of a story before my kids could read it and learn from it.
J_Mac is offline   Reply With Quote

leshutton

Reading Street
Old 07-28-2008, 03:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

This will be my second year using Reading Street. I posted this earlier, but maybe some in this post missed it. I have a collection (too huge to attach to this post) of story questions for each story, along with some other items I have gathered from the Internet to go along with the theme of each story. I also have a writing timeline that organizes the grammar with my own personal writing lessons to go with each story, because I REALLY did not like the writing portion of the teacher's manual. I use a center menu and a spelling menu for students to work on during leveled groups. For the center menu, I use some of the SF centers if they are easy enough (not many are), and then I hit the Internet for ideas. I also do a word block and writing block- ( I used to be a Four Blocks Teacher) basically my entire morning is Language Arts Instruction--it takes a lot of time!
I will E-mail you my Reading files and Writing Files if you send my your personal e-mail addres. I will attach one day of my lesson plan so you can see how I set up my morning. My center menu and spelling menu are already posted in the file section of this board.
leshutton@embarqmail.com
Attached Files
File Type: doc Monday Planbook 2 pager.200708.doc (55.5 KB, 494 views)
leshutton is offline   Reply With Quote

leshutton

Spelling and Reading Menus
Old 07-28-2008, 03:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Sorry- I keep forgetting that I belong to two Third Grade Boards (Yahoo Groups), too. My center and Spelling Menus are on THAT board. I'll post them now.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Centers Menu.doc (44.5 KB, 454 views)

leshutton

Menus
Old 07-28-2008, 03:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Here is the spelling menu.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Spelling Menu.doc (87.8 KB, 351 views)

leshutton

Center Menu
Old 07-28-2008, 03:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Here is another option for a centers menu. I made it, but never got around to using it. I got it from a Differentiated Instruction workshop.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Centers Tic Tac Toe.doc (48.0 KB, 342 views)

leshutton

Another SF Related Website
Old 07-28-2008, 03:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Here is another website devoted to third grade Reading Street stories. It's not as good as the other one, but it may be helpful.

http://209.174.201.2/teachweb/albers...0Read%20Alouds

leshutton

SF Baseline Tests
Old 07-28-2008, 03:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I hate to admint it, but I did not use the Baseline Tests all year. I tried using them in the beginning ( I think for the first two units), but my students were bombing them, even my strong students. I think it was because I was not teaching from the entire program to a T. I was using the guided instruction questions from the manual as I taught, but I guess that wasn't enough. I rarely used the workbook pages. I usually only used the first two for each story. Then if I found one that they could do independently, I'd use it (of course, there weren't many of them). I did not have time to do leveled groups AND do workbook pages together.The baseline tests were difficult. I'd like to use them- did anyone out there figure out the key to student success on those tests? I just wasn't prepared (or felt it was right), to "teach the test".I felt guilty for giving them up.

spunkybee

RS Additions
Old 07-28-2008, 04:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I too am in my second year of using RS. It can be very overwhelming because there is so much there. I gave the baseline test at the beginning of last year, but none of the other end of the unit tests. Since I wasn't using everything in the manual I didn't feel it was fair to give that test. We try to use centers Tuesday-Thursday. Monday is spent with background knowledge, predicting, introducing vocab., and listening to the story. Friday's then are for giving the theme test. Last year we felt like the writing and grammar was really lacking so we are trying to find a way to help integrate that more. We have been thinking about extending the stories for two weeks (since there are some we don't care for anyway) and doing the story and skill the first week, then the second week integrating the leveled readers and also grammar and writing. Any thoughts?
spunkybee is offline   Reply With Quote

soph

Fourth Year
Old 07-28-2008, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

This is my fourth year coming up using Reading Street. Each year gets a little easier. I really like the series. I give the baseline test to start the year along with the Alternate Word list. It gives you a lot of info for making your leveled groups. We do the selection test every Friday. In our training we were told to have the children use their books to do the selection tests. Many people don't do that, but the purpose is to teach them to look back and find their answers. I do whole group, small group and leveled groups. Depending on the day, we do things differently. I give a spelling pretest on Monday. The children will have 8, 10, 15 or 20 words to study depending on how they did on their pretest. I do the grammar book. We do centers three days a week, although I may try to increase to 5 days this coming year. We do reader's response journals two days a week. We do story sequence using the 10 Important Sentences book. I do a lot of the activities on my SMARTboard. I give the unit tests and the end of the year tests. This year only one child didn't pass the end of the year test. I love the series and so do the kids.

Last edited by soph; 07-28-2008 at 10:56 AM..
soph is offline   Reply With Quote
soph
Old 07-28-2008, 05:00 AM
This message has been deleted by soph.

teach72beach

aashley
Old 07-28-2008, 09:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Thanks for answering all my questions. This series has so much to offer. It's amazing!! I guess I asked about the Dominoes because I don't have powerpoint to be able to see that and some other things on the website. Thanks for clearing things up for me.
teach72beach is offline   Reply With Quote

kbo

Old 07-28-2008, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

There is also the online lesson plan that is online you can use and change to modify your needs. THe state standards are on there also.
kbo is offline   Reply With Quote

aashley

leshutton
Old 07-28-2008, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Thanks for the extra info and the menus.
I think I'll be using the tic tac toe menu at some point this year...cute idea!

leshutton

Writing
Old 07-29-2008, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Here is my plan for Writing this year. I did not care for the plans for writing at all, so I developed my own timeline using my favorite writing resources.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Writing Block Scope & Sequence.doc (233.5 KB, 279 views)

aashley

Old 07-29-2008, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

leshutton, it looks like what I'm planning on doing for writing is quite a bit like what you are planning on doing. I'm starting the year with Writing Mini-Lessons for 2nd Grade though because I know that their teacher last year didn't do a whole lot with writing for them. I'm hoping before too long that I'll be able to really gear my lessons up, or maybe completely change them to higher level stuff, maybe after Christmas.

J_Mac, I'm thinking after what you posted that I may not start with Boom Town. I guess I'm just in the mind set to follow the book. I was thinking tonight about making a chart so I can keep up with the stories that I skip to at a glance. After just glancing at Suki's Kimono, I think I probably will start with it. And since we'll be starting the year discussing different cultures in SS with the Olympics, it would be nice to start with cultures in reading, too.
Thanks for opening my mind a bit!

J_Mac

Bye Boom Town
Old 07-30-2008, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

You're certainly welcome - I planned to follow the book last school year, but when I finally picked up my Teacher's Edition a week before school started and saw Boom Town was the first story, I changed my mind. This summer, I did a quick re-read of every story and marked the genre and content of the story, so I could plot stories to where they need to be.
J_Mac is offline   Reply With Quote

leshutton

Reading Street Story Order
Old 07-31-2008, 05:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I was afraid to skip around with the story order, because usually basal stories gradually get harder as the year progresses. The grammar skills also build upon each other, so it makes sense to follow the order of the basal.

kcarbs

Dominoes Vocabulary help
Old 08-24-2008, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Ok. I checked out the website listed above for the Dominoes Vocabulary, but I couldn't find it...or the scavenger hunt. Can anyone who knows where to find it, please help me out?

Thanks so much!
kcarbs is offline   Reply With Quote

soph

Unit 1
Old 08-24-2008, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Click unit 1 on the web site above. Go to Boom Town and scroll down. All the powerpoints, dominoes, scavenger hunts etc are there.
soph is offline   Reply With Quote