My Checkbook Incentive System (long) - ProTeacher Community

jema81

My Checkbook Incentive System (long)
Old 07-27-2008, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is designed for 4th and up. It is something that I am thinking of using should I be placed in a fourth or fifth grade classroom. I'm tweaking it...so this is pretty much just a rough sketch. Feedback is appreciated...would love to hear if anyone notices anything I might have missed or if anything is unclear, or let's face it--if it just doesn't seem like it would work.

Checkbook Incentive System
Designed for grades 4-5 (and possibly middle school)

Objective: Create an incentive system that teaches students responsibility and accountability while reinforcing practical math skills.

Procedure:
--Students will be given a student checkbook ledger and pretend checks which will be provided by the teacher. Checkbook ledger and pretend checks will be printed out on 8 1/2” by 11” paper and bound in a portfolio folder. Students will be assigned a checking account number determined alphabetically.

--Each student is responsible for maintaining his or her checkbook ledger. Lost checkbooks can be replaced with a fee (a withdraw from their checking account).

--Students can use the money they earn to purchase items from the classroom store which will take place at the end of each marking month. **Students can also purchase emergency classroom materials from the classroom store during designated class free time to replace missing or needed materials***

--Students will be able to earn money through the following ways:

1. Job Salary—students will apply for a job at the beginning of each marking period. Each job will have a salary of $25 a week. Students will make a daily deposit of $5 a day.
2. Great Behavior—students can make a deposit of up to $25 for exhibiting appropriate classroom behavior. Students will make a daily deposit of $5 dollars a day.
3. Bathroom Passes—Students can make a deposit for $1 per individual bathroom pass left over at the end of each day. Students are given two for each day, one for the morning, one for the afternoon.
4. ***Homeworkopoly—Students who complete their homework get to roll each day for homeworkopoly. If students can earn a deposit as a prize on certain spots on the board through chance and community chest cards or passing go.

Maximum Total Daily Morning Deposit= $10. Students will make deposits in the each morning during morning routine. The object is for students to keep all the money they are to deposit. (Not including Homeworkopoly and bathroom passes deposits those would be made at the end of the day)

Make a Deposit—Students will record deposits in their checkbook ledgers. Deposits will be made daily.

Make a Withdraw/Write a Check—Students will be making withdraws from their account for a variety of reasons.
1. Inappropriate behavior and breaking a class or school rule. The infraction will determine the amount of money withdrawn. TBA.
2. Student fails to complete daily job. Student will have to withdraw the total $5 dollar amount allotted for the day.
3. Student uses up his/or her bathroom passes for the day but has taken an extra bathroom break during class. Student will withdraw $1 for each extra bathroom break.
4. Failure to complete work on a consistent basis. Whether it be classwork or homework, students who fail to complete work will have to withdraw money from their account. Amount TBA.

Students will have to write a check to the teacher and record the withdraw in their ledger. They must also cite the reason why they had to write the check. Example: did not complete math homework, or did not raise hand during class.
Students will also write a check to the school store when purchasing an item, but students must have enough money in their account to cover the cost of total purchased items.

Paid Sick Day—Students who are absent can receive their pay for behavior, bathroom passes and salary when they are absent provided that it is an excused absence, i.e., students must provide a note to the teacher excusing the absence. Students can deposit the amount for the day they were absent upon returning to school.

Docked Pay—Students who are absent and provide no note excusing the absence or have exceeded the districts allotted school absences (without valid cause) will be docked pay for the days they are not in school. Students who are also serving in school suspensions will also be docked pay when not present to complete daily job, etc.

***Students will be given the money to deposit upfront. Students must maintain appropriate behavior, complete jobs, etc. in order to keep their money.

jema81 is offline   Reply With Quote

smar

check books
Old 07-28-2008, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The fourth grade team at my school has a very similar system - fyi - instead of printing out your registries, I think they get theirs donated by a local bank ??
smar is offline   Reply With Quote

jema81

thanks
Old 07-28-2008, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was thinking about asking my local bank, but just in case I am unable to get a donation, I found worksheets online.

Biffer1997

Old 07-28-2008, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am hoping to have students write in ledgers and checks.

Jema, Can you give me the link to the site where you found the registers? Thanks!
Biffer1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

jema81

Surely
Old 07-28-2008, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I found a couple sites...

http://www.dltk-kids.com/crafts/misc...us/mcheck.html

www.moneyinstructor.com (checks and ledgers)...you need to register but it is free for a limited membership.

http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/lessonplan.jsp?id=322 (has ideas for running a class store and bank while using checks and money)

Hope this helps. Let me know if the links come up as a dud.

kstrick

kstrick

homeworkopoly
Old 01-05-2011, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would really like to know more detail about homeworkopoly please :-)