Help

Magnolia Room

making rules in a departmentalized classroom

>

ryansmom

making rules in a departmentalized classroom
Old 07-28-2008, 07:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've fallen in love with Teaching Children to Care, the Morning Meeting and the First Six Weeks of School but I am uncertain what to do with the rules. I teach 3 different classes each day. Do I have each class write their own rules and hope that I can guide them to ones that are similar to each other so that I don't get confused? Or do I have my homeroom write the rules for all classes? Or use teacher made rules in the other classes?
Does anyone have experience with this situation? I so want to build a strong community in all three classes. I taught this schedule last year and never felt that I knew my students or had a good working situation in class.

fischerk

Old 07-28-2008, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In Teaching Children to Care, one idea she gives is having the main rule be the golden rule ("Treat others how you would want to be treated") and maybe then the kids could give a few examples of specific ways that they could follow the golden rule. That way, the basic principal would be the same for every class, but they would also be able to customize the specifics?

jwithere

I'm so glad you asked that!
Old 08-08-2008, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm making the big move from third grade all subjects to fifth grade math three sections and have really loved running RC rules with my students. There is something so inherently rewarding for all of us when their is understanding and ownership on all parts.

One thing that worked when I was student teaching was that during the first day when we were building the rules, the students and I gathered ideas on chart paper from ALL three classes, during each section that is. The next day we looked at all the rules we had come up with to make a happy class and then paired them down into categories. Each class did this separately. The next day, we looked at everything we had compiled and each section voted on the most important 4 or 5. Each day didn't take a bunch of time, but it def. made a wonderful classroom environment.

Hope that helps.
mulcec

mulcec

Old 05-05-2009, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

this has no good idvice