ARCHIVE

Ocean bulletin board ideas

>

mommygator

mommygator

Ocean bulletin board ideas
Old 06-13-2006, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This year our school is doing a "SHIP" theme. My last name is Waters, so I thought about doing Welcome to Mrs. Waters's World and doing my hall display with an underwater scene with the children's name on sea animals. Any ideas on how to make it AWESOME and 3-D!!!! ???? I love to have a great hall display for the beginning of the year. I also plan to carry out the theme in the classrrom, so any ideas would be great!

REB

here's a thought...
Old 06-14-2006, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I saw this awesome episode of Extreme Makeover:Home edition last Sunday night, where the design team did (I think it was) the playroom, or maybe one of the bedrooms with an underwater theme...it was supposed to feel like you were in the bottom of the ocean when you turned out the lights in the room. I was thinking, if you knew someone who watched it, maybe they could use some of those ideas, and tell you how to incorporate them into your room? The only thing I can think of right now, is using aluminum foil to create an underwater effect...
maybe someone else who saw it could provide some more insight.

Let me tell you what the room looked like...lots of pillows that looked like a sea horse, and fish. In the ceiling was an aluminum boat, that had slits cut out of the side of it, and it had been anchored pretty strongly to the ceiling, and of course the light fixtures were already attached in the ceiling before they were covered with some kind of metallic looking stuff, and then the boat was anchored up there...when the lights were turned down, there was this cool effect, of the aluminum looking stuff (not sure if it ws fabric or some type fo foil or paper)shining through resembling ripples in the water...the kids loved it...and I even liked it...it looked really neat looking.
(the walls were painted blue as well, to look like water.)

I used the FISH theme last year, because I had completed a FISH workshop, and loved the philosophy...I'm trying to think of ways to use it at my new school...it's a little tricky when you teach music...lol.
Good luck.
REB
REB is offline   Reply With Quote

TeAcHeRinFL

Party City
Old 06-14-2006, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you have a Party City near you, they have ocean scene setters, which are large plastic sheets with scenes on them. They have a blue ocean one that you could use as your background for the water. The also have two other ones, one has fish, and the other has coral & many ocean animals.
TeAcHeRinFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Lisa Ader

Submarine portholes
Old 06-14-2006, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

One year I made a big submarine out of gray paper and cut portholes out of the sides of it (ovals that you could look out of like windows) I had the children make ocean scenes on paper and put it behind the portholes. It looked like what you would see if you were looking out the window of a submarine. It was really cool. So maybe you could use the submarine idea and put their names in each porthole as a welcoming display to start the year and then use it to display their ocean art. I also covered their pictures with blue plastic wrap. Maybe Sailing into Mrs. Waters Class, or something like that!
Lisa Ader is offline   Reply With Quote
Freedom

Freedom

Ocean theme bulletin board
Old 08-02-2007, 09:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I did one last year that my students loved. Each time I tried to take it down they would make comments it had to stay all year. I got an old net - you can purchase them at Hobby Lobby for a few dollars. I stuck to the small natural brown looking one and hung it in the bottom corner. I used old sea shells, sand dollars that had been chipped and a sea star and placed them in the net. You can also purchase these items in a little pack at Hobby Lobby or local craft stores. I also used aquarium plants (purchased from local pet store). You could create your own, but I liked the 3-d effect and the plastic did not fade or look worn at all by the end of the year. You can staple and reuse over and over again. I selected tall green stalks, short green and a few short maroon looking sea weed stalks. You can purchase really inexpensive ones - and just pull them apart to make it look like more. I placed the tall stalks on the edges and smaller ones were mixed across the bottom. I then had some old fabric I had used in previous years (purchased from Walmart) that had bright colorful fish in the fabric. I cut out about 10 of them and stapled them randomly around the board. There was a blue cloth back ground. I put construction paper in blue and green around the board and placed student work on it. You can use the same background and tweak the themes...Sea of Success...or fishing for knowledge and you can place vocab terms in the net and have a make shift fishing pole for students to select items out of the net - quick review game. It's nice to be able to keep the basic theme up and change the content...you can use the colored plastic wrap as well...i just found that the other items withstood the students bumping up against throughout the year.