Sixth Grade

6th grade math projects

>

Closed Thread

jmem5555

6th grade math projects
Old 07-30-2008, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi. I would love for my students to complete some type of math project each quarter this year. I have two projects so far and was wondering if anyone had any math project ideas. Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

babyruth

project fun
Old 07-30-2008, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When we were studying geometry, I had them write a picture book. There is the story The Greedy Triangle which you can read to them.
http://books.google.com/books?id=5Bf...um=1&ct=result
We brainstormed a list of terms. They had to use at least 10? (choose a #) of these terms and underline them or put them in another color. They had to draw pictures too. I know I had a rubric all made, but I can't find it right now. If you are in an elementary school, you can give or read them to a younger grade.

sassymollasi

What projects do you have?
Old 07-30-2008, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I always do a fun data project with the 12 days of christmas. We graph it all kinds of ways, but the prettiest is how many of each kind of gift that "true love" got. THe kids NEVER predict it correctly, you just see the lightbulbs come on. We make big posters and have contests, use lots of glitter!

sassymollasi

one more thing...
Old 07-30-2008, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Are you familiar with AIMES, (activities in math and science?). There is an online activity base where you can download activities, most a dollar or two. And they are all pretty much fun! I LOVE the palindrome one to start the year.

http://www.aimsedu.org/

jmem5555

Great
Old 07-30-2008, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks so much. I was familiar with AIMS and have several books for science. I had no idea you can download the activities and they are so cheap! I just downloaded 5 or 6. Thanks again!!!

Mr. Mark

Math Boad Games
Old 08-02-2008, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

At the end of last year I had my students create math board games. They were allowed to choose any strand that we had covered over the year. They had to measure out their boards and spaces, and create questions, strategies, rules, and directions. Some of their games turned out to be very elaborate, and they absolutely loved the project!

DonnaG.

Math project
Old 08-05-2008, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When we study percent, amount of decrease/increase, sale price, etc..., I have my students create an ad for a store based on the activities they enjoy - sports, reading, clothes. They are to have pictures, original price, percent of discount, sale price, etc.... My students have always enjoyed this activity.

awgray1

Formulas/Excel
Old 08-07-2008, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

When we talk about formulas in Everyday Math, I do a project where the kids are professional shoppers and they have an assignment to spend $10,000 fictious dollars for a 1,000 disadvantaged youth. They have to buy toys at Toys-R-Us (online), they have to buy for different age groups, different genders, and they must spend all the money.

They research online in groups and enter their information in their excel database and use formulas to add it all up. They really enjoy this project. I check to make sure they do it right by changing a price or quantity and see if all of the subtotals and final totals change. If not, I know they entered it in, but didn't use the formulas properly.

Just e-mail me if you want a copy of the information for this project.

janiebird19

Old 08-07-2008, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Two things which come to mind for this fall in particular are the elections and Olympics. Both would work well with statistical analysis. The Olympics also involve measurement and conversions.

Since our measurement unit is in the spring, I have my students design a Mother's Day flower vase with specific requirements. I have also had students plan how to tile a room which is an irregular polygon using either 6", 12" or 2' square tiles and then determine the cost of the tiles.