Dr. Sandra Kaplan Icons - ProTeacher Community

kashmead

Dr. Sandra Kaplan Icons
Old 07-30-2008, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone use these icons in their class? If so, how do you incorporate them into your lessons, or do you have any activities with them? Thanks in advance!

kashmead is offline   Reply With Quote

play4heat

Icons
Old 08-01-2008, 05:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I went to her seminar also. I never got any of her info to date. I also don't know about how to use them
play4heat is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Icons...
Old 08-01-2008, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a friend who uses icons with her autism class - I'd never even heard of this until someone here posted about them last year (and I've been teaching GT classes for 13 years!) After doing some research, I'm not sure what the purpose of them really is... maybe it's because I'm such a random, global thinker - all those things pop into my head and lessons all the time. And NOT being a linear, left brained type person, I guess it just never occurred to me that someone would needed visuals to make sure they covered all those concepts... hmm... maybe I need to do some research and find a workshop...

thanks!
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

scottiestir

Sandra Kaplan
Old 08-01-2008, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

After you attend one of her seminars. Your write a lesson plan.
She uses the lesson plan, and hopefully will send you other lesson plans which I have never received.

My students miraculously come up with ideas I had not thought of once I explained an icon and gave a simple connection. You can go to her web site and buy her books. SOMEONE needs to write a book that does this. She just gives a different way to differentiate the lesson. You have to come up with the essential question. The kids seem to do the rest. Or one of us needs to write a book.
scottiestir is offline   Reply With Quote

schoolmaven

Does Kaplan's method work?
Old 11-25-2008, 07:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In my experience with the Kaplan method, she links an idea with a non-linguistic representation. This is one of Marzano's best instructional practices as non-linguistic representation improves learning by 27%.

The icons generate ideas because they get kids engaged in the thinking as they role play characters represented by the icons, then in playing out these characters they are more engaged in the thinking process, more likely to tap personal experience, and become involved in the process.

Try it, but wade in slowly because there are lots of icons, and I know not all of them are needed.

Good Luck!
SM

schoolmaven is offline   Reply With Quote