Math Daily 3,4,5 - ProTeacher Community

peacekeeper

Math Daily 3,4,5
Old 07-30-2008, 10:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone used the daily 5 for math? How did it work? What were the categories? Thanks!

peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

alicej

daily math
Old 07-31-2008, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

somewhere on this site I found one teacher doing just that. i have made a basic schedule using daily 3, for 3 rotations for math. Using mini lesson, then small groups and math stations. This is the schedule I found here.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf daily 3 math schedule.pdf (279.6 KB, 905 views)
alicej is offline   Reply With Quote

Coleyj

Old 07-31-2008, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for the visual. I have been struggling with how to create math workshop in my math class and I think I would do much better with the Daily 3 Math. More structured. Thanks again.
Coleyj is offline   Reply With Quote

mombktt

alicej
Old 07-31-2008, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I love your visual! I have a question or more! How many students where in your class for this to work? I have 27 and I worry that the groups (blue and green) will be too big? What do you think?

Also, I noticed it was done w/ EM. I also teach this and in 2nd grade the kids know some first grade games, but they still need me to teach them the "new" 2nd grade games. When do you model this for them (you know how it is usually section 3 of a lesson)?

Next! What is Rocket Math? Is it fast fact practice??? Just curious!

Last question. I notice that you go over the math boxes daily in the last minutes of class, but what about if a student is doing the math box and you are teaching and they have questions for you? Do you have them always do them as partners? Do you just have them skip it until you go over it?

Thanks so much! I am soooo excited to try this!
mombktt is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4libby

Saxon Math
Old 08-01-2008, 04:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our school adopted Saxon Math for the upcoming school year. My question is this...Would Daily Math work with the Saxon curriculum? I have tons of manipulatives and we choose with our adoption a set of self-checking math centers. Is Daily 5 for Math the same idea as for the literacy block? Do you teach the main lesson (or new learning as I think it is called in Saxon) during the focus lesson/whole group? Do the students have individual math boxes and what goes in them? Thanks in advance for any info. regarding D5 for Math!

crazy4libby is offline   Reply With Quote

msjamie2

My Math Rotation
Old 08-03-2008, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have used this rotation for the last 4 years and it really works for me...thought I would share.

20 minute lesson after lesson I assign their work pages. After they are done with their work pages they leave their books on their desk and choose from 4 centers (computers, manipulativies, math facts, strategy games) usually I place a limit say 5 to a center. This allows me to pull several groups if need be. Once I'm done with groups I walk around a spot check problems and call students back to help correct. They usually have about 20-25 at their center.
msjamie2 is offline   Reply With Quote

zookeeper44

Daily 4 math
Old 08-07-2008, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Sounds like a good rotation. What do you have them do with the manipulatives? Is it free choice or do they have something specific?
zookeeper44 is offline   Reply With Quote