Binder set up for 8th grade math - ProTeacher Community

tbtennis

Binder set up for 8th grade math
Old 08-02-2008, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I wanted to get some ideas for setting up a student binder in math. Does anyone grade the binder?

tbtennis is offline   Reply With Quote

Danita

Not Math but
Old 08-02-2008, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use a notebook with my students and this is the setup for that notebook: (abc order) Current Events; DOG (bellwork); Handouts and maps; Notes; and Vocabulary. I think you could do something similar to this with math. They also have a TOC that I have them post by section. It's in the front of the notebook, but is divided into sections according to the notebook. I do grade them.
Danita is offline   Reply With Quote

SMB

Danita, do you
Old 08-02-2008, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

use a separate notebook for each of the items you listed? Or do you set it up on a daily basis?
SMB is offline   Reply With Quote

Danita

notebook
Old 08-02-2008, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We use a one inch binder with dividers. I teach World History and this system works well for me. I've done notebooks for 14 years and have found that the one inch binder works best with my 7th graders. Some students like a larger binder and that's fine, however, the one inch are available for $1...so I encourage them to use these and they take up less space in their lockers/backpacks. We clean them out at the end of the 9 weeks (recycle) and some students decide to start a new binder. I do a binder with them so that mine is always available for them to compare theirs to and so that they have something to check the order of the items in the binder. Mine, of course, does not have the answers, ha!
Danita is offline   Reply With Quote

SMB

Good idea to maintain a teacher's copy.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I never thought of that. Sometimes when students are absent for a number of days, they don't always get all the necessary items especially notes from the board. I'll try that this year. I use notebooks so, of course, material is entered sequentially. Maps go next to the notes, etc. and students easily see the relevance. However, if you use dividers do your students have difficulty relating the information in the various sections?

SMB is offline   Reply With Quote

hokiegirl3

Tble of Contents, Ordered
Old 08-03-2008, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I teach SS and use an ordered binder.

Students keep a Table of Contents in the front. We number each paper they get. They write the # on the paper. They then write the title of the handout (Great Depression Notes, World War II Map, Cold War Vocabulary, etc.) on the TOC next to the #.

I have them create a cover page for each unit we study. This is just a normal piece of computer paper. They have to write the title of the unit and add symbols/pictures that describe the unit (like a collage). This divides up the binder.

I like having all papers from a unit together. This makes it easy for students to study AND easy for us to reference as a class without them flipping through tons of pages. It also makes it easy for me when I collect notebooks.

Instead of taking up their entire binder at the end of each unit, each student has a notebook folder (I use manila, but whatever would work). I give students a checklist/grade sheet with all the assignments for that unit. They gather all these into the folder and I take the folders. This way I don't have stacks of binders all over my room.
hokiegirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote

feleciayoung

Math Notebook
Old 08-12-2008, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I teach pre-algebra and will have my students keep a Math Portfolio. It will have sections. Section 1: Syllabus, Math Autobiography, Weekly grading Sheets. Section 2: Daily Warm-ups. Section 3: Notes. Section 4: Classwork and Section 5: Assessments. They will keep everything in chronological order. After each unit, they will remove items and place in large ziploc bag theat they keep in thier classroom folder. At the end of the semester (I teach high school), students will choose several pieces from each unit to create a Portfolio for grading.
feleciayoung is offline   Reply With Quote