Does "nighttime" medicine make you awake? - ProTeacher Community

Last Chance to Enter!

friendlypoofy

Does "nighttime" medicine make you awake?
Old 08-02-2008, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

It does to me and it drives me crazy!! Whenever I have a cold or cough and take "night medicine" I end up with a pounding heart and can't sleep a wink for hours. So I don't bother with that anymore.
I have trouble sleeping and had a sleep study. It turns out that I have mild restless leg and a little more periodic limb movement than is normal, but nothing severe enough that they want me to take meds (because of the side effects especially). I really don't want to take a prescription sleep pill. So I've tried to go the over the counter route. Now I've discovered that Tylenol PM and Simply Sleep (basically the same without the tylenol part) don't help me sleep either! They basically do the same thing to me as the cold medicine. It is so frustrating. So I tried melatonin....nothing really happens. I take awhile to fall asleep when I take it and then sleep for awhile but seem to suddenly wake up early in the morning - I think when it wears off??? Any ideas?? I'm so frustrated that this stuff that's supposed to help is actually making my problem worse. I'm jealous of heavy sleepers.

Ima Teacher

Old 08-02-2008, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I can take two Benadryl and sleep. Other than that, things keep me WIDE AWAKE. After my gall bladder surgery I was told to take two hydrocodone pills and sleep. Yeah, right. I could barely even blink, much less sleep. I was wild.

DH can't take many antihistamines for that reason.

DuckyTchr

they knock me out
Old 08-02-2008, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I hate it when my allergies act up during school because if I take anything, I might as well go home and sleep.

JulieG04

body chemistry is crazy...
Old 08-02-2008, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My mom cannot take NyQuil--keeps her up all night, ditto Benadryl. I'm the opposite--Benadryl, NyQuil, Sudafed, and similar meds knock me out COLD. DD couldn't take the liquid Benadryl unless it was the "dye-free" version. It does the same thing for her that it does for her Grammie!

Ima--hydrocodone is funky! After my surgery I'd take it so I could sleep but all it did was give me "hot flashes"--not wild, though!

BioAdoptMom3

Old 08-02-2008, 09:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our 9 y/o DD has this same problem. We once gave her Dimetapp for a cold and she was up literally all night (she was two at the time). Her pediatrician said this is a lot more common than most people realize. You might want to ask your doctor about something like Xanax and see if that helps. It really doesn't make you drowsy, but relaxes you into sleep and I don't think it has the same side effects as many of the sleep aids.

Nancy

yesteach

check for dyes
Old 08-02-2008, 11:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Red 40 makes me hyper. I have to look for green or dye free meds...